Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Post by Donnie Ebert »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
May 20 20, 12:51 pm
Ted Simmons and the Bizarre Brawl
With the score remaining tied heading to the ninth, Hrabosky decided to make the Cubs wait by going through his trademark routine, which he called “The Psych.” Hrabosky walked behind the mound, furiously rubbed up the ball, muttered a few words to himself as motivation, and then slammed the ball from his bare hand into his glove before stomping back onto the mound. The Cubs’ first batter of the inning, future batting champion Bill Madlock, had little interest in waiting patiently for Hrabosky to carry out the gestures of The Psych. As “The Mad Hungarian” primped his way through his pre-arranged maneuvers, Madlock stepped out of the batter’s box and walked back toward the on-deck circle.

Once Hrabosky returned to the mound, Madlock made his way back to the plate. As Madlock stepped in to the batter’s box, Hrabosky repeated his psych-up routine. He again walked behind the mound, rubbed up the ball, and then slammed it into his glove. So once again, Madlock stepped out of the box and returned to the on-deck circle.

Home plate umpire Shag Crawford, a veteran of National League games beginning in 1956, grew irritated by the delays. According to an interview in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Crawford yelled at Madlock, “Bill, get back here!” After the game, Crawford explained the situation further. “I thought maybe he didn’t hear me because of the crowd noise (created by the 43,267 fans in attendance). So I went after him and said it again.”

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

That umpire is why umpires are

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I was looking through the guide last night and saw MLBTV was running the 2006 world series. A game between St. Louis and Detroit. I thought it was a misprint. I don't recall that world series. At all. I have even read about it and I can't believe I don't remember that. It is crazy, like that period in my life never existed. I remember the Boston ones, and the Texas one, but not this. What the hell? I guess maybe the Mets series was my world series that year.

Whatever, it is cool we won.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Leroy wrote:
May 20 20, 2:23 pm
I was looking through the guide last night and saw MLBTV was running the 2006 world series. A game between St. Louis and Detroit. I thought it was a misprint. I don't recall that world series. At all. I have even read about it and I can't believe I don't remember that. It is crazy, like that period in my life never existed. I remember the Boston ones, and the Texas one, but not this. What the hell? I guess maybe the Mets series was my world series that year.

Everyone remembers future HoF Anthony Reyes outdueling Justin Verlander and Weaver getting pantsed by old stink hand Rogers!

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Leroy wrote:

It was the one where Detroit pitchers made a couple hundred errors.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 20 20, 2:53 pm
Leroy wrote:

It was the one where Detroit pitchers made a couple hundred errors.
And inspired a great Onion article.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
May 20 20, 12:51 pm
Oh, wow! Did you see how that other batter stepped into the box, ready to swing? He's lucky he didn't hit it because

a) Simmons would have gotten clocked with the bat
or
b) He would have been out for batting out of order.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 20 20, 2:13 pm
That umpire is why umpires are

There is a rule that covers this:
(a) The batter shall take his position in the batter’s box promptly when it is his time at bat.
(b) The batter shall not leave his position in the batter’s box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup. PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call “Ball” or “Strike,” as the case may be.
(c) If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out.

How about that - the ump got it right!

I wish they'd do more of this rather than let the players go on and on and on.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Jocephus wrote:
June 1 20, 9:33 am
It may be time to rename the Tyson Zone.