The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Post by a_smith »

CardsofSTL wrote:
April 18 22, 2:29 pm
It feels like they want to keep Gorman's clock from starting and have the convenient excuse of wanting him to get everyday at bats that he wouldn't currently get on the big league roster because of the other players also needing at bats. Unless the service time thing was addressed in the new CBA & I missed it, I think it's a real big piece of the puzzle.
I also think that the shortened spring training really played a role. He looked 'ok' in a week of ABs, they had to make a quick decision and signed Dickerson/Pujols to be the DHs. If it was a regular spring they would have had time to let him work through stuff.
Now they are in the boat of getting ABs to Sosa/DeJong/Edman to figure out what they have. One of those guys or Dickerson will be traded once Gorman comes up.

and you are totally right that it does not hurt to have the benefit of limiting his service time.

Tags:

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

His hitting bombs but he’s also struck out in nearly half of his ABs

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardsfantx wrote:
April 18 22, 5:09 pm
Only 36% so closer to 1/3 than 1/2 and samples are way too small to determine actual rate. He’s walking too so that counters his Ks. He’s not unlike O’Neill and DeJong and Bader in that regard. His K rate rivals many good players in MLB so far. And it was 19% last year in AAA.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Gorman has 6 homers but they all have been solo homers, 6 home runs and 6 RBIs. He hasn't gotten any extra base hits that haven't been a homer.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

JoeMcKim wrote:
April 18 22, 8:00 pm
Gorman has 6 homers but they all have been solo homers, 6 home runs and 6 RBIs. He hasn't gotten any extra base hits that haven't been a homer.
Stop hitting home runs said nobody ever

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
April 18 22, 11:43 pm
JoeMcKim wrote:
Stop hitting home runs said nobody ever

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

JoeMcKim wrote:
RBIs in the year of our lord 2022

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 18 22, 6:01 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
Only 36% so closer to 1/3 than 1/2 and samples are way too small to determine actual rate. He’s walking too so that counters his Ks. He’s not unlike O’Neill and DeJong and Bader in that regard. His K rate rivals many good players in MLB so far. And it was 19% last year in AAA.
Believe it or not, it only takes about ~50 plate appearances for K% and BB% to normalize, so we aren't far from there for Gorman.

If someone tells you they aren't concerned with the K and BB rates for Gorman and Yepez; find another person to listen to.

I was against the Pujols/Dickerson signings because I wanted these two to play in that role, but I think the Cardinals made the right decision to continue to develop them.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Fangraphs says 60 PAs for K% and 120 for walk%.

I tend to look at entire bodies of work and how many big leaguers improve their K% (not free swingers like Baez but ones that than walk higher than Grichuk did).

Gorman is countering the Ks with enough walks for now.

I’m also fine with eating the 28/8 K/BB Gorman shows in the minors for the power. Some K rate sacrifices are worth it.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

phins wrote:
April 19 22, 8:55 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 18 22, 6:01 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
Believe it or not, it only takes about ~50 plate appearances for K% and BB% to normalize, so we aren't far from there for Gorman.

If someone tells you they aren't concerned with the K and BB rates for Gorman and Yepez; find another person to listen to.

I was against the Pujols/Dickerson signings because I wanted these two to play in that role, but I think the Cardinals made the right decision to continue to develop them.
This is where I'm at. I know its common for young men to struggle making the physical and mental jump from AAA to MLB. MLB wouldnt be the ultimate reward that it is, if the differences between the 2 levels werent what they are. And from what I've seen, he looks tight and inconclusive of what he intends to do when he steps into the box against MLB caliber talent; this spring, last spring, etc. And when he gets inserted(spring cuts) into a lineup against guys more his experience level, he almost immediately starts looking like a different player. Which is to be expected with 99% of the players that end up on "Top Lists" in his age group. I'm in no way categorizing him as a AAAA player. But the eye test means something, and MLB pitchers carve him right up; Fastballs up, offspeed down. This is the way with most High School Draftees; they just take longer to develop.