The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Re: The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Post by DeadMoney »

Dewitt needs to talk his buddies into ending the lock out so we can trade Dejong to the A's to fulfill BAS's prophecy.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

He is heating up in a big way. He's getting too good to ignore.

He's worthy of a pre-Super 2 call up. He feels like a lefty Kris Bryant or could be as good as Devers. Haven't dug around for a real comp yet. He does have 3 True Outcome tendencies. But with a passable glove, the ISO he gives you is still damage.

This is a fun thread to revisit on an off day from his progress over the years.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm sticking with Dan Uggla for my uninformed comp, a guy who routinely posted 4+ WAR seasons in his prime.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

heyzeus wrote:
April 18 22, 1:00 pm
I'm sticking with Dan Uggla for my uninformed comp, a guy who routinely posted 4+ WAR seasons in his prime.
And errors were called "Ugglas". Max Muncy played 2nd for a bit. How would those 2 compare? I know it wouldnt really be cut-n-dry, because Muncy was never a Top prospect. But he sorta had that "I'm not a real second baseman body" going for him, like Gorman does.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
Uggla was a late bloomer (didn't enter league until 26) but I see the similarities in the plate discipline. Gorman is 21 still!

Matt Chapman and Austin Riley seem like decent comparisons from a 3B angle. Chapman probably the ceiling. If he stayed over there and Cards didn't have some other guy named Nolan.

Between Brandon Lowe (ceiling) and Jedd Gyorko (2B version, lefty version, floor) from a 2B angle, which is where he'd play in STL. Gleyber Torres similar too.
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
April 18 22, 1:14 pm
And errors were called "Ugglas". Max Muncy played 2nd for a bit. How would those 2 compare? I know it wouldnt really be cut-n-dry, because Muncy was never a Top prospect. But he sorta had that "I'm not a real second baseman body" going for him, like Gorman does.
Muncy has way more command of the strike zone than Gorman has shown. Much better walk rate. Like by twice as much. And Muncy was a late bloomer too and only played a quarter of his career innings at 2B. I see Gorman being a better glove. Closer to the Gyorko-at-2B mold.

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

heyzeus wrote:
I think this is the most accurate comparison.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

It feels like they want to keep Gorman's clock from starting and have the convenient excuse of wanting him to get everyday at bats that he wouldn't currently get on the big league roster because of the other players also needing at bats. Unless the service time thing was addressed in the new CBA & I missed it, I think it's a real big piece of the puzzle.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

heyzeus wrote:
He only had 2 4 win seasons, but I like the comp in terms of offensive production.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
April 18 22, 2:29 pm
heyzeus wrote:
He only had 2 4 win seasons, but I like the comp in terms of offensive production.
By Fangraphs, he had 3 4+ WAR seasons and another over 3. As BAS points out, Uggla didn't make the bigs til he was 26, while Gorman is still 21 and therefore should have a longer career. There's not a huge list of power-first second basemen, and who knows if Gorman sticks there longterm, but for now I'm excited to see him soon (I hope).

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

heyzeus wrote:
April 18 22, 2:48 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
April 18 22, 2:29 pm
heyzeus wrote:
By Fangraphs, he had 3 4+ WAR seasons and another over 3. As BAS points out, Uggla didn't make the bigs til he was 26, while Gorman is still 21 and therefore should have a longer career. There's not a huge list of power-first second basemen, and who knows if Gorman sticks there longterm, but for now I'm excited to see him soon (I hope).
Important part of the 21 vs 26 age thing is, where was this player in their development and where will their peak be. And I think it's hard to say with those differences. Late bloomers are always a monkey wrench.

Yeah, re-thinking it, Brandon Lowe is about the only one I can compare to, and Gorman may even beat him to the bigs by a year. And Gorman is a tad taller. But Lowe is strong as hell. And Lowe isn't a plus defender. 26th percentile in Statcast OAA. Average to below average overall.

The list of power-hitting 2Bs, average to below average glove, and K/BB of ~28/9 is a short, short list.

McMahon from Colorado might be a floor comp. A 3B/2B type.

May be worth just doing a batting comp and a fielding comp separately. Might be closer to Daniel Murphy in the field. Gorman and Murphy are the exact same size. Glove could be close. Also depends how granular a comp should get. i.e. do they have to be same handedness/position/size/etc.? Very easy to envision Gorman at 1B after a few years.

Need a @haltz, @Fat Strat or @Kincaid analysis here.