Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Get Your Shildt Together

Post by Jocephus »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Shildty better keep winning because if he doesn’t Mike Scioscia is the next manager.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals utility man, and potential (and probable) NL MVP, Matt Carpenter joins the show to talk his salsa intake over the last few months, how much fun he’s been having showing up to the ballpark every night, and what goes into the Cardinals’ new daily team meetings that have helped right the ship.
(audio) https://www.101sports.com/audio/cardina ... p-therapy/
The Cardinals Are a Different Team, a Better Team, Under Mike Shildt
By Bernie Miklasz August 14, 2018 3:18 pm
https://www.101sports.com/2018/08/14/th ... ke-shildt/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

One thing I really appreciate about Mike Shildt is how humble and grateful he is to be here. I think that's a quality overlooked with the trend of hiring former players. Shildt has a quality in interviews where he blends being in awe of the moment and responsibility with being informed and prepared
by David 11:59 AM yesterday

He's not in awe of anything.
He's worked his whole life for this chance, and he's grabbing it game by game.
He is, however, appreciative. That's a better phrase.
He has said since day one that he views this as an opportunity, not a threat.
His predecessor seemed to view it in the opposite way.
by BenFred 12:00 PM yesterday

It has nothing to do with shildt. It has to do with the best players in the organization playing. Credit the FO for making the roster changes to free up room
by robb 12:01 PM yesterday

It has nothing to do with Shildt?
Do you think it's a coincidence the front office handed over its prized young arms to him?
How about last night, when he out-managed Nationals' Martinez by sending up Greg Garcia to provoke a pitching change, then sent out Patrick Wisdom, who arrived from Memphis with a .301/.378/.562 slash line against LHP. Wisdom's single in the 8th inning against Solis put two on for Carpenter's blast.
A player told me yesterday that the vibe since Shildt took over has been a "night and day" difference.
It has a lot to do with Shildt.
by BenFred 12:07 PM yesterday
How has the vibe changed under Shildt? I always assumed that if the constant tactical shortcomings of Matheny frustrated the fans, it must have been doubly frustrating for the players (i.e., leaving in a laboring starting pitcher just so he has a chance to go 5 innings and get the win). Are the players more confident that they'll be put in better positions to succeed?
by Mister 12:13 PM yesterday

I've observed a few things. Better communication. A better sense of roles and explaining how they change and why. More freedom, where it can be allowed. And also more accountability, where it was needed. For instance, hiring knowledgeable coaches doesn't help much if the players have the sense they can pick and choose when they want to be coached. That tone has to come from the manager. Shildt has set a tone. And when the results help produce wins, the tone is more likely to be accepted and followed.
by BenFred 12:17 PM yesterday

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Moved this from another thread:

Shildt gets the headlines, rightfully so, but don't underestimate the dismissal of John Mabry and the promotion of Budaska and Greer. Budaska has been a magician for most of these players so it isn't a surprise to see the offense surging under his leadership as well. I'm especially curious to see if he can resurrect the bats of Fowler and Ozuna, two guys that don't have a history with him.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

That is wonderful.