Top 40 Prospects: St. Louis Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Re: Top 40 Prospects: St. Louis Cardinals

Post by PA_Hiker »

The "Montero is a 1B" schtick is getting old. Last year in the GCL, coaches (the ones his team actually played against) all commented on how good his defense at 3B was. This year, the word was that his errors were not the kind attributed to lack of range or hands but more the kind that work themselves out with more reps. And he's not as slow as lazy scouting people at Fangraphs make him out to be.

Maybe he does end up at 1B long term but the FG call is simply because he's a big kid and that automatically makes him a 1B.

Tags:

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

PA_Hiker wrote:The "Montero is a 1B" schtick is getting old. Last year in the GCL, coaches (the ones his team actually played against) all commented on how good his defense at 3B was. This year, the word was that his errors were not the kind attributed to lack of range or hands but more the kind that work themselves out with more reps. And he's not as slow as lazy scouting people at Fangraphs make him out to be.

Maybe he does end up at 1B long term but the FG call is simply because he's a big kid and that automatically makes him a 1B.
i was under the impression that he'll end up at first because his body will limit his mobility.

but then again i guess if Panda can play 3rd at 400 pounds, then montero can

edit: totally glossed over your last sentence. isn't that a reasonable concern?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

these guys know waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more than me about these guys obv, but they have Montero listed at 6' 3" 195 lbs...that's thin/not big at all

guess those numbers are always flubbed, but the pictures/videos I've seen of him, he doesn't look big (as in fat/chubby)...he does have the front of his jersey pulled out a bit which gives it the appearance of a pooch, but when he stands up straight between pitches, it goes away/he's thinner.

and if he's like most people, you start to lose that chubbiness/lean out as you enter your early 20's (just turned 20 a couple months ago); esp playing baseball year round.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

cardsfantx wrote:these guys know waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more than me about these guys obv, but they have Montero listed at 6' 3" 195 lbs...that's thin/not big at all

guess those numbers are always flubbed, but the pictures/videos I've seen of him, he doesn't look big (as in fat/chubby)...he does have the front of his jersey pulled out a bit which gives it the appearance of a pooch, but when he stands up straight between pitches, it goes away/he's thinner.

and if he's like most people, you start to lose that chubbiness/lean out as you enter your early 20's (just turned 20 a couple months ago); esp playing baseball year round.
I think you have that backwards. Did you not go to a 10 year HS reunion where the skinny ppl had filled out? I didn’t but I did go to a 20 yr reunion and they had definitively filled out.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Mo Vaughn is listed on baseball-reference as being 6'1" 225#.

This guy:

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

lukethedrifter wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:these guys know waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy more than me about these guys obv, but they have Montero listed at 6' 3" 195 lbs...that's thin/not big at all

I think you have that backwards. Did you not go to a 10 year HS reunion where the skinny ppl had filled out? I didn’t but I did go to a 20 yr reunion and they had definitively filled out.
10 year HS reunion would be 28

I said early 20's

I def leaned out in my 20-26ish years as did most of the people I knew...it's the peak of you metabolism/athleticism in your life...we're just regular people eating/drinking whatever we want and couldn't gain anything.

late 20's - early 20's? def a diff story....gained 50 lbs when my wife got pregnant when I was 30.

and a 20 year reunion as you mentioned? that'd be 38ish...fat as hell

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Popeye_Card wrote:Mo Vaughn is listed on baseball-reference as being 6'1" 225#.

This guy:
that looks about right in that pic...he looks buff/not big (fat) at all

as mo got older, he was fat a [expletive]...but that pic def looks 6'1 225 lbs

looks like a running back in the NFL in that pic (may be an inch or 2 taller than most RBs though)...but that's the size of most RBs

now, if you used this pic lol

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

my point being...no professional athlete should ever be "too big", or needed to be moved to a corner OF spot or 1b because they're "too big" in their 20's

in this day and age with the knowledge/science/diets/money that they have available; if you're "too big" it's your own fault.

no matter what is wrong with you (thyroid/metabolism/whatever); there's a diet/workout that can git you trim...

now...as you get older? sure, you need to me moved...

but at 20/already talking about it? nope...not unless the player is lazy

(and as Mo's post season press conf stated; that's not an option...they're giving everyone a diet/workout and resources, and they're expected to stick to it or reach out if they're having issues)

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

cardsfantx wrote:interesting they have Dylan Carlson so high
.738 OPS at A and A+ with that K/BB ratio is impressive. His wRC+ at those levels was 125 and 112 to give you an idea of how pitcher heavy those leagues are. A year in Springfield will give him big time prospect helium.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
cardsfantx wrote:interesting they have Dylan Carlson so high
.738 OPS at A and A+ with that K/BB ratio is impressive. His wRC+ at those levels was 125 and 112 to give you an idea of how pitcher heavy those leagues are. A year in Springfield will give him big time prospect helium.
oh don't get me wrong; I like him

I just thought a few guys lower than him would be ranked higher than him, was all