MLB Payroll Spending

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: MLB Payroll Spending

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote: And of course it still goes back to as it always does that money supersedes all for ownership.
It supersedes all for players too. Harper and Machado can sign this afternoon if they are willing to play for $25MM per season rather than $30MM.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

They absolutely could. They’ve been grossly underpaid to this point in their careers so I defend why they don’t.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

MDCardsFan wrote: The current system for player compensation doesn't fit this new reality well and a new agreement is necessary. Players should expect to paid for what they produce when they a produce it. For many, their prime years are eaten up prior to hitting FA.
Then, ownership needs to give up a few years of team control. If rookies are going to be the new stars of teams, let's pay them like they are. Honestly, the entire draft / team control thing needs to go.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:They absolutely could. They’ve been grossly underpaid to this point in their careers so I defend why they don’t.
Fight the good fight for these underpaid millionaires, who are by and large pricks in real life.

(And yeah, I think we know the owners are pricks too. Why waste any effort defending either one?)

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:They absolutely could. They’ve been grossly underpaid to this point in their careers so I defend why they don’t.
Fight the good fight for these underpaid millionaires, who are by and large pricks in real life.

(And yeah, I think we know the owners are pricks too. Why waste any effort defending either one?)
Because free agents and rookies and minor leaguers are intrinsically linked.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
MDCardsFan wrote: The current system for player compensation doesn't fit this new reality well and a new agreement is necessary. Players should expect to paid for what they produce when they a produce it. For many, their prime years are eaten up prior to hitting FA.
Then, ownership needs to give up a few years of team control. If rookies are going to be the new stars of teams, let's pay them like they are. Honestly, the entire draft / team control thing needs to go.
I mostly agree. Though I would argue for some amount of team control, for competitive balance purposes and the investment teams put into developing players.

I think they shouldn't be able to draft/sign players until they are 21. Up to that point, replace the lower minors with its own junior league that drafts and pays players separately. MLB drafts out of that league, and keeps AA/AAA for late development. $150k MiLB minimum, $1MM MLB minimum, 5 years of team control including minors, restricted free agency after 2 years of MLB service time. RFA rules work like the NHL--original team can match offer, or let the player go for draft pick compensation.

I think something like this is more fair across the board. Superstars will get paid less for their veteran years, but we're already staring at that inevitability.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

???

If Harper/Machado/etc. get paid like they would have, that provides less incentive to blow up the system and make the changes necessary at the lower levels.

I'm not saying the owners are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. But if veterans keep getting paid, then they have little reason to change everything.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Popeye_Card wrote:
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:

???

If Harper/Machado/etc. get paid like they would have, that provides less incentive to blow up the system and make the changes necessary at the lower levels.

I'm not saying the owners are doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. But if veterans keep getting paid, then they have little reason to change everything.

Suppress pay for older players to scare younger players whose pay you’ve suppressed into taking ever shrinking deals that sell out what little protections they have in the CBA.

Invoking milb salaries as more important than free agents is an incredibly stupid game people play. MLB has continually attempted to lower both and demanding one doesn’t exclude demands for the other.

MDCardsFan
All-Star

Post by MDCardsFan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't know if it's a travesty or not but swinging back to my original point, I think it's easy to make a case they're worth it because that's a lot of production from only one position player.

Looking at the Cardinals position players as a whole, how many players have a realistic shot of putting up 5 wins? According to bref, Goldy 31 yo has averaged right at 5 wins the past 3 seasons (considerably higher if you go back 4 years); Marp 33 yo put up 4.9 last year and averaged just under 4 the past 3 years and he's switching positions; then there's nothing...maybe Ozuna if everything falls right.

Harper 26 yo has averaged 2.5 wins the last 3 seasons (considerably higher if you look at 4 seasons - 4.4). So, it's not like he's a slam dunk, but he's also younger and outside Goldy would have to be considered the best shot at a monster season. And, undeniably would have the highest ceiling of anyone on the team.

At the same time, do they need to gamble 10/350? Probably not a good idea. But, 5/200 seems like a no-brainer yes if you ask me, travesty or not.
That's kind of my point. I would think 5/200 is attainable right now, but teams are balking at the 10 year deals and are holding that line.

MDCardsFan
All-Star

Post by MDCardsFan »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Collusion is blatantly obvious. Again, I'll never understand why people want to defend billionaires so hard.

I have no need to defend billionaires or millionaires. I just operate in the real world, not some fantasy baseball one.