2019 Pitching staff thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2019 Pitching staff thread

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Keuchel will be reliably mediocre to bad.
For one year?

I mean I think he could be had for 1/20 at this point. He's a 3 WAR minimum, right?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
For one year?

I mean I think he could be had for 1/20 at this point. He's a 3 WAR minimum, right?
Keuchel has reached 3 wins once in the last 3 years, whether you're looking at bWAR or fWAR. He's 31 now and is unsigned and therefore not in camp in mid-March, severely jeopardizing his early season readiness/effectiveness.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Wasn't he injured off and on the last two years with shoulder and neck issues? I think he's better now. I think he can post 3 WAR this year. After this year? Sure, I agree.

I mean can we expect CMart to post more than 2? I think giving him a Holland style deal will be worth it.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Mark
2:52
What do you make of the Cardinals vocal commitment to not break camp with their best arms in the bullpen and instead make decisions based on roster flexibility? Only asking about this because too flustered to even ask about Fowler/Ozuna vs O'Neil.

Craig Edwards
2:53
I'll wait and see what they actually do. A lot of this tends to work out over time. Cecil and Gregerson aren't even doing much of anything right now. Martinez opens up another slot.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Wasn't he injured off and on the last two years with shoulder and neck issues? I think he's better now. I think he can post 3 WAR this year. After this year? Sure, I agree.

I mean can we expect CMart to post more than 2? I think giving him a Holland style deal will be worth it.

Yeah. The only reason Keuchel didn't hit 3 WAR more than once is because he didn't throw enough innings in two of the 3 seasons. Had he gotten close to 200 IP, he would have been over 3 WAR all 3 years. I mean, the dude is coming off a season where he threw 204 innings with a 3.74 ERA, 3.69 FIP. And it's been stable. Yeah there is injury risk but so what? There is injury risk with every pitcher, that's why you can never have too many. It's nuts to me that Keuchel is still unsigned.

Cardinals_Spaceship
Everyday Player

Post by Cardinals_Spaceship »

Respectfully disagree. Keuchel would be a great fit for the Cardinals.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Gammons on The Athletic:
Predicting postseason awards is one of the fun games in spring training, and unless one immediately starts with Max Scherzer, most of said predictions have all the certainty of the Quinnipiac poll on the favorite to win the 2020 Democratic nomination for president. But this happened in a five-day run from one Arizona ballpark to another:

— “If I bet, which I do not, I’d go to Vegas and put money down on Jack Flaherty to win the Cy Young.” An NL GM.

— “Flaherty has the best stuff in the National League.” An NL Assistant GM and evaluator.

— “Flaherty is Zack Greinke with filthy stuff. What did he have, a 30 percent strikeout rate in his first full season? That’ll get better, a lot better.” NL manager

Weeks ago, I had Cardinal veterans voicing the same opinion, and watching him, I get Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Aaron Nola, Jacob deGrom, Walker Buehler …

I’m all in on Flaherty, his stuff, his athleticism, his focus, discipline. That Harvard-Westlake tradition is remarkable, with a tip of the cap to headmaster Richard Commons.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i want to believe

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:Gammons on The Athletic:
Predicting postseason awards is one of the fun games in spring training, and unless one immediately starts with Max Scherzer, most of said predictions have all the certainty of the Quinnipiac poll on the favorite to win the 2020 Democratic nomination for president. But this happened in a five-day run from one Arizona ballpark to another:

— “If I bet, which I do not, I’d go to Vegas and put money down on Jack Flaherty to win the Cy Young.” An NL GM.

— “Flaherty has the best stuff in the National League.” An NL Assistant GM and evaluator.

— “Flaherty is Zack Greinke with filthy stuff. What did he have, a 30 percent strikeout rate in his first full season? That’ll get better, a lot better.” NL manager

Weeks ago, I had Cardinal veterans voicing the same opinion, and watching him, I get Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Aaron Nola, Jacob deGrom, Walker Buehler …

I’m all in on Flaherty, his stuff, his athleticism, his focus, discipline. That Harvard-Westlake tradition is remarkable, with a tip of the cap to headmaster Richard Commons.
Sounds like he's earning that 10k paycut. Way to keep your talent happy Mo.

Tommy Pham!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes that Dakota Hudson is "the leader in the clubhouse" in the Cardinals' fifth starter competition.

Hudson has out-pitched John Gant -- his main competitor for the job -- this spring and it's notable that his last three appearances have all been starts, whereas Gant's last two have been one relief appearance and another appearance in a minor league game. Gant will still make the Opening Day roster regardless -- he's out of options -- but it looks like it might be in a long relief role. Hudson's upside is limited because he doesn't strike out many batters, but the former first-round pick rarely gives up home runs and posted a 2.69 ERA in the minors.

Source: Derrick Goold on Twitter
Mar 15, 2019, 8:27 AM