2019 Pitching staff thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: 2019 Pitching staff thread

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:
I assume "strikes out the side" means "didn't order the sausage links at Denny's after the game."

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

moderation is sexy
12:24
Harry: How optimistic should we be about Daniel Ponce de Leon?

12:24
Dan Szymborski: Moderately

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jason
Can the Cardinals move Carlos Martinez into the rotation in 2020 and maintain a high level without the addition of a free agent?

Craig Edwards
Considering their rotation operates at a below-average level now, swapping in Martinez for, I guess Wacha in this case, and assuming Wainwright and Hudson continue pitching at their current levels might get them to be an average rotation next season. Given the state of their roster and salary/position commitments, the teams' only avenue to get better might be a big addition in the rotation.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

from a fantasy/rotographs article
On the other hand, Carlos Martinez thrives this year working in back-to-back outings. He locked down his 17th save of the year logging retiring the last four hitters in a row, two via strikeout. Martinez leads the National League with 14 saves in the second half and pitched in consecutive games 13 times this year closing out all nine save chances in them. He’s also generating the highest ground ball rate (60.8 percent) of his career. Andrew Miller gets his 23rd hold walking one and striking out one in one-third of an inning. Miller’s only allowed two hits against the last 26 batters he’s faced.
https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/bullpen-r ... er-3-2019/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Sad Giants fan: Why does Dakota Hudson keep pitching well even with his terrible peripherals?

Craig Edwards: He has a great ground ball rate, which helps, but also the Cardinals just have a really good defense. He’s not close to as good as his ERA implies. He’s got 15 unearned runs so to believe that his ERA approximates the way he’s pitched, you have to believe he’s been playing in front of a bad defense. If he’s playing in front of a bad defense, then his ground ball rate wouldn’t actually be that helpful. Hudson might be a little better than his FIP due the GB rate, but that only takes him to being an average pitcher who’s been helped by a good defense.
Ethan: Do you think Jack Flaherty going forward is closer to his first or second half version?

Craig Edwards: First half performance is 1.6 WAR/180 innings. Second half performance is 7.4 WAR/180 innings, so the over under is 4.5 WAR. I think the cumulative numbers is probably right as a 4-5 WAR seems like a reasonable expectation for next season, though because he’s a pitcher, you sort of have to take the under if you are just guessing.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I'm very happy to eat all the crow in the world.

He still scares the [expletive] out of me every time he pitches.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'm very happy to eat all the crow in the world.

He still scares the [expletive] out of me every time he pitches.
I give Waino credit, but I feel the same way you do. His stuff just looks so "hit-able" to my eyes.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Both Hudson and Waino were fine over many many samples and living with their results in a big park helped too.

Neither of them are an ideal playoff starter

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:Reyes will replace Wainwright after a month or so IMO
Wainwright's gonna have a good season.
bump