2019 Minor League Season

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: 2019 Minor League Season

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Diowill Burgos, OF, Cardinals

Burgos drew a lot of attention from scouts early as an amateur in the Dominican Republic, though his game performance scuffled and he ended up signing with the Cardinals for $300,000 in 2017. Burgos struggled last season in the DSL, but he made the all-star team this year and is making a case for the league’s MVP award as an 18-year-old. Burgos is tracking the ball and recognizing pitches much better than he had in the past, which has helped him cut down on his strikeouts and allowed his power to play, with a .370/.473/.731 line through his first 33 games.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... n-the-dsl/

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:Diowill Burgos, OF, Cardinals

Burgos drew a lot of attention from scouts early as an amateur in the Dominican Republic, though his game performance scuffled and he ended up signing with the Cardinals for $300,000 in 2017. Burgos struggled last season in the DSL, but he made the all-star team this year and is making a case for the league’s MVP award as an 18-year-old. Burgos is tracking the ball and recognizing pitches much better than he had in the past, which has helped him cut down on his strikeouts and allowed his power to play, with a .370/.473/.731 line through his first 33 games.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... n-the-dsl/
This has been a bit of the Cardinals M.O. They have a pretty long history of signing players out of the international market who popped early, had a lot of teams in on them, then slowly faded back a bit and get them to sign for 300k when they've been in the penalty box.

Burgos and Nunez are a couple of them who have paid off pretty well.

Truthfully they've had more success with this tactic than trying to spend big money on international talent. Some of that is they are not good at evaluating and projecting that level of prospect in my opinion, as I was following this stuff a lot more closely when they did their big splash of Machado and Oviedo and others and got themselves in the penalty box to begin with and I wholeheartedly liked Malcolm Nunez better than any of the players they signed for big money at the time they signed.

Taking and projecting a player from his age 14 showcase and understanding what he could look like at maturity is not easy. I got the benefit of forming an opinion on a lot of these players at age 16-18, while a team signing them has to be committing to them at age 14 to 15 in many cases.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit with my diatribe.