CardsofSTL wrote:
April 26 21, 8:04 am
JoeMcKim wrote:
April 26 21, 2:32 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
April 25 21, 8:44 pm
JoeMcKim wrote:
April 25 21, 3:27 pm
When Bader is ready to return they need to put Carp on waivers. Demoting anyone else makes no sense at this point.
Williams or Dean are cannon fodder
I agree with that. But they're not hitting .077 with 17 strike outs. I think I'd be more confident with Waino pinch hitting over Carp right now.
Yeah but he's given us great years; even if his downturn is hard to stomach. Let him ride the bench; pinch hit for pitchers and make spot starts on Sunday afternoons and then wish him well.
He's very clearly not blocking anyone in need of a roster spot. Which is an indictment. This team needs one more competent bat and has two places in the outfield to put it.

But I wonder if Carpenter would rather be cut loose than be a pity carry, striking out three times a week for the sake of not getting his feelings hurt.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Matt Carpenter, Cards reach 2-year extension

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Trade him to the Royals, with his salary, for absolutely anything at all. That's something the Royals would do, especially with Matheny.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

couple pages late but i found mo's comments way more candid than i would have expected

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Who says no?

Royals get: Matt Carpenter, pro rated $18.5 million
Matheny gets: boner

Cardinals get: Player to be named never

Very Royalsy thing to do.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Don't hate.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

brad penny for your thoughts
Mo had some pretty frank comments re: carpenter recently. how close do you think carp really is to be moved off team (in whatever capacity)?

Ben Clemens
Oh I think it's getting close
Er, off the team is maybe a stretch, because he backs up three infield positions
It's not hard to imagine 8 starters, then a bench of a backup catcher, a 4th outfielder, a middle infield backup, and Carpenter
I think continuing to use him as a starter is sketchy at this point, though. There's a good deal of evidence that his bat, right now, is just not gonna get it done

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
When Bader is ready to return they need to put Carp on waivers. Demoting anyone else makes no sense at this point.
I agree with that. But they're not hitting .077 with 17 strike outs. I think I'd be more confident with Waino pinch hitting over Carp right now.
Yeah but he's given us great years; even if his downturn is hard to stomach. Let him ride the bench; pinch hit for pitchers and make spot starts on Sunday afternoons and then wish him well.
If he was hitting anywhere near the Mendoza Line that could work but at this point I don't want someone on the team just for sentimentality purposes. When you're hitting worse then basically anyone you could call up from AAA you're justtaking up space on the roster.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

JoeMcKim wrote:
April 26 21, 2:18 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
JoeMcKim wrote:
If he was hitting anywhere near the Mendoza Line that could work but at this point I don't want someone on the team just for sentimentality purposes. When you're hitting worse then basically anyone you could call up from AAA you're justtaking up space on the roster.
This.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Carpenter has hit .263/.391/.474 since the end of April when we all tried to figure out why the x-stats were bogus and didn't apply to him.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

My god

Thought this bump meant we were extending him again

And carp sucks