Bat Flips

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What do you think of flipping bats after home runs?

It's a hot dog move with no place in the game
15%
Let the kids play
54%
I don't care one way or the other
21%
Jose DeLeon never flipped a bat
10%

Total votes: 39

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Bat Flips

Post by tlombard »

Popeye_Card wrote:When a hitter dramatically flips his bat or stares down a HR too long, they know what they are doing is taboo within the game. That’s why they are doing it. You can enjoy it. Just spare me the pearl clutching when pitchers retaliate as if that’s unique to baseball. The penalty for breaking unwritten rules in every sport is usually violent.
The issue is that the 'unwritten rules' are freaking stupid and need to go away in my opinion. Tradition doesn't make it right and certain traditions need to die. If traditions never died, we'd still be watching nothing but white guys play baseball.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

33anda3rd wrote: Also: how surprising is it that the two American sports with the most Old Man Unwritten Rules About Decorum are the two least popular?
Not speaking for others but I don't base my love and appreciation for things based on how popular they are with other people.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

CardsofSTL wrote:
33anda3rd wrote: Also: how surprising is it that the two American sports with the most Old Man Unwritten Rules About Decorum are the two least popular?
Not speaking for others but I don't base my love and appreciation for things based on how popular they are with other people.
Nor should you. You should love the thing you love. But if we're going to prop any sport(s) up as the barometer for what should be tolerated viz displays of emotion and violent retaliation, it's for sure meaningful that:
--the overwhelmingly most popular sport, football, does not condone
--the second most popular, and most internationally popular, and the one with the most worldwide growth, basketball, does not condone it
--the third most popular, only popular here + the Caribbean + a few parts of Asia, and one losing popularity with a bleak growth outlook, baseball, does condone it.
--the niche sport that only 2 in 50 people here say is their favorite, that is popular only in Canada and the lousier parts of Europe, loves it.
Societally, using sports that condone violent retaliation makes about as much sense as Trump losing the popular vote by a few million but still getting to be POTUS. It just don't make no sense that the least popular kinda ugly aspect should speak for the whole moving forward. If we're looking at baseball and asking why young people--who like fashion and flair and emotion and entertainment--might not preserve our national pastime and its popularity, we should look from that in, instead of inside out when we think about these bat flips.
Last edited by 33anda3rd on April 19 19, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Old white guys hate all that celebration stuff. But who gives a [expletive] what old white guys think, there is no place for them in the new world.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

wart57 wrote:Old white guys hate all that celebration stuff. But who gives a [expletive] what old white guys think, there is no place for them in the new world.
For a long time sports were governed by stuff white guys like because white guys were the whole audience. That's just not the case anymore and there's still a place for us it's just that we're not so overwhelming a majority anymore so we kind of have to let younger, non-white, non-male voices also have a platform too. That's really hard for some people to come to terms with, that some brown kids or women or people who grew up speaking another language have input on that thing we used to be proud to call a melting pot, but the leagues like MLS and NBA that can adjust and adapt their league to appeal to that wide audience will be the successful ones.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Wow, that is bullsh**

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Do the crime, do the time.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

How do you get an unwritten rule... unwritten?

Seems pretty arbitrary to me. Pointing to the heavens after a double is fine. Scooping salsa or revving your motorbike back to the dugout after a single is fine. Pitchers punching their glove. If everyone on your team did the same batflip, would it be ok? Or do you still have to risk a broken rib or wrist?

I hardly ever read them as directed to the pitcher or other team. I can see the 'this is a team thing, it's not about you' argument, I just don't agree. I never made it far in baseball, but does anything feel better than squaring one up?

Home runs are special. I like to see the player as excited as I am as a fan. Acting like you've been there is overrated. Act like it means something to you.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

#letthekidsplay

#ornot

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

33anda3rd wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
Nor should you. You should love the thing you love. But if we're going to prop any sport(s) up as the barometer for what should be tolerated viz displays of emotion and violent retaliation, it's for sure meaningful that:
--the overwhelmingly most popular sport, football, does not condone
--the second most popular, and most internationally popular, and the one with the most worldwide growth, basketball, does not condone it
--the third most popular, only popular here + the Caribbean + a few parts of Asia, and one losing popularity with a bleak growth outlook, baseball, does condone it.
--the niche sport that only 2 in 50 people here say is their favorite, that is popular only in Canada and the lousier parts of Europe, loves it.
Societally, using sports that condone violent retaliation makes about as much sense as Trump losing the popular vote by a few million but still getting to be POTUS. It just don't make no sense that the least popular kinda ugly aspect should speak for the whole moving forward. If we're looking at baseball and asking why young people--who like fashion and flair and emotion and entertainment--might not preserve our national pastime and its popularity, we should look from that in, instead of inside out when we think about these bat flips.

I'm on Team Let the kids play, so I'm not really arguing against your other points. The game is evolving... These things like bat flips or other forms of celebration will become the norm. And it won't even get brought up anymore. Maybe we will live to see that day, maybe not.