http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=draft

Fangraphs' board:
https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... ?sort=-1,1

Tags:

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: 2019 MLB Draft

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I really really like Chase Strumpf and Kameron Misner.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Strumpf sounds good to me. A good defender with raking ability and plate discipline. Sounds like Wong.

Misner would be nice too. Local guy. I want the Cardinals to get back to developing good outfielders. Would love to get him, Greene, Bishop, Carroll, or Hampton. Draft seems full of them.

Would love them to grab a few upper 90s fastball pitchers in this draft too.

One thing I always want them to do is draft right handers who hit right handed pitching. I don't care where they are in development process.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jason Isringhausen will be representing the Cardinals at the Draft.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Mock Draft: Could Bobby Witt Jr. go No. 1?

Who will go first in the 2019 MLB Draft? Nearly all scouting directors not picking No. 1 overall believe that Oregon State catcher Adley Rutschman is the obvious best choice for the pick. And most believe he will end up being taken by Baltimore.

But there’s still an alternative narrative: that it’s not a slam dunk, with some thinking Cal first baseman Andrew Vaughn will end up in the top spot. One scouting director even mused that new Orioles general manager Mike Elias could repeat what he did with the Astros in 2012 (when they took Carlos Correa) and take prep shortstop Bobby Witt Jr.

One thing we know for certain is that Elias keeps things close to the vest, so we might not know for sure until Commissioner Rob Manfred announces it on June 3.

There is a general consensus about who the top six, and perhaps even the first seven or eight, names called on Draft night will be, and the top six are all hitters. But the order could go in any number of directions.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Baseball drafting is truly undergoing a shift in philosophy. You will see a bunch of hitters at the tops of drafts moving forward (the Cubs model, if you will) and you will see HS righthanded pitching dropping further than you'd expect.

Deals being struck at the top of the draft to manipulate other players to spots they can take them and use that excess money on them is going to continue being a viable strategy for teams as well.

Rutschman has no incentive to strike a deal for below the second overall slot value because he's a lock to go second if the Orioles pass. Vaughn, however, could end up falling to six or seven if he doesn't go third, so he has incentive to take a deal somewhere around the average of 3-4-5 and then the Orioles have major money to use elsewhere. Vaughn, from an analytics standpoint, is probably a preferable choice to Adley, but the tools that Rutschman possesses along with his position make him a very solid #1 overall guy. the Royals would love for him to fall to them.

I'd expect the Cardinals to go safer, college guys with high floors more often this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see a return to the days of the college righty and the name I'd give slight odds to would be RHP George Kirby of Elon. Just a hunch on an impossible projection.

Kirby is a Driveline guy who has always been super talented, but the workouts have allowed his velocity to get into the mid-90's and he has excellent control (posted a 24-1 K/BB ratio on the Cape).

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Passan: How a 19-year-old prospect is turning the MLB draft upside down
Stewart is in agreement on a six-year contract worth more than $7 million with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of Japan's Pacific League, sources familiar with the deal told ESPN. Stewart was the No. 8 overall pick in last year's MLB draft but didn't sign after the Atlanta Braves, who believed he was injured, offered him a signing bonus well under the $4.98 million slot value of the pick -- around $2 million. Stewart went to junior college instead and was expected to go early in the second round of this year's draft -- and receive an offer of less than $2 million.

Instead, he agreed to a groundbreaking contract with the Hawks, who have won four of the past five Japan Series. Stewart is expected to finalize the deal by the end of May. Not only does Stewart stand to make more money during his six years in Japan than he would have with an MLB organization, he could potentially return to the United States as a 25-year-old free agent allowed to sign a long-term contract with any of MLB's 30 teams.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Does this mean Japan could start getting all of the States' top 18-19 year old draft talent and making high market teams start bidding wars when they all become available at once, hypothetically?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Here's the best Draft prospect from each state
Selections were based on Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo’s latest list of the Top 200 Draft prospects. For states without a representative on the list, we polled and conversed with scouts to determine its top prospect.

Go to MLB.com/Draft to see the Top 200 Prospects list, mock drafts, the complete order of selection and more. And follow @MLBDraft on Twitter to see what Draft hopefuls, clubs and experts are saying.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

starts at 5 pm CST today (6/3)