6/8 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Cubs(Lester) 6:15PM CT

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: 6/8 GDT: Cardinals(Flaherty)@Cubs(Lester) 6:15PM CT

Post by jagtrader »

greenback44 wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Flaherty and Cabrera BOTH had starts without a K this week. Cabrera no swinging strikes. That’s because they have no talent, I guess.
This is some weird sarcasm. K-rate is like the first thing anyone looks at for indications of talent. Flaherty in particular looked like he's about to run out of gas for the season. That happens with young pitchers.
It’s June. If he’s out of gas, he should be a reliever. He looked like a pitcher who has faced these hitters a lot and isn’t adaptable enough, or isn’t prepared well enough, to get them out. Cabrera was just tipping. In both cases, it’s not about talent. I’m old enough to remember when the Cardinals did this stuff to other teams.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Maddux will be gone by the all star game, and the FO will try to sell fans on "hitting the reset button". We'll be 10 games under 500 by then.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Cardsforlife wrote:
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:We will never win at Wrigley again.

I think we win tomorrow night, however, we may never win another series at Wrigley
Hendricks has made this team look completely inept, and Waino doesn't have Wrigley magic if he ever did. Today was the day. Sweep incoming..

Cardsforlife
Veteran Player

Post by Cardsforlife »

Miller looked good

Cardsforlife
Veteran Player

Post by Cardsforlife »

The part of the story I don't like is that they stopped hitting after an hour. They didn't hit the ball out of the infield or anything, they just sat on the bench like goons and waited. They gotta think 'You got a bat. You got a responsibility.' If you score 4 runs in the first inning, you don't score for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you score some [expletive] runs.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Cubs scored in 5 of 8 innings. Cards scored in 1 of 9. That’s frustrating.

Cardsforlife
Veteran Player

Post by Cardsforlife »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Cubs scored in 5 of 8 innings. Cards scored in 1 of 9. That’s frustrating.

Lester settled down and was his old self after the first.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

jagtrader wrote:
greenback44 wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Flaherty and Cabrera BOTH had starts without a K this week. Cabrera no swinging strikes. That’s because they have no talent, I guess.
This is some weird sarcasm. K-rate is like the first thing anyone looks at for indications of talent. Flaherty in particular looked like he's about to run out of gas for the season. That happens with young pitchers.
It’s June. If he’s out of gas, he should be a reliever. He looked like a pitcher who has faced these hitters a lot and isn’t adaptable enough, or isn’t prepared well enough, to get them out. Cabrera was just tipping. In both cases, it’s not about talent. I’m old enough to remember when the Cardinals did this stuff to other teams.

If these were like elite talents, they could overcome some of these things. But they aren't. They are maybe average to above average talents and their talent is not great enough to overcome their inexperience. It's almost like some of them should maybe still be in the minors, and we should have signed someone like Keuchel to bridge the gap until they are more ready. Just spitballing here.