Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Dylan Carlson SUPER MeGa Thread

Post by ghostrunner »

haltz wrote:
salukifan2 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:On a couple of the highlights of Carlson's home runs on here, you can see balls barely clearing that 315 fence.

Pop flies in many parks. From rookie ball to MLB.

Not saying Carlson isn't a stud...
lukethedrifter wrote:Why does the big league club allow this? I guess it doesn’t make any diff.
So Mo can fleece teams with a fake AA masher and boost righty confidence
Care to post a link to these wall scrapers?
I looked through the thread and I don't think they exist. There's a video of one that was close but ruled a double.

It's 315 down the line in LF and it looks like he only hit three homers RH at home this year. Maybe four. I found video of two of them and a description of a third in a game recap and none are down the line.

So I'd also like a link. Maybe there are some clips of him going oppo LH over that short porch or I missed something.
There's a spray chart here and you can choose which level you're looking at

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-p ... suals-milb

Tags:

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

no one expects him to hit 40 homers per year. if he can go .300 20/20 with a couple 25-30 homer seasons sprinkled in, all the while playing solid defense in the OF, then that's a pretty damn good ballplayer.

it's ok to be excited about carlson considering how bad our farm system is as a whole.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

go birds wrote:no one expects him to hit 40 homers per year. if he can go .300 20/20 with a couple 25-30 homer seasons sprinkled in, all the while playing solid defense in the OF, then that's a pretty damn good ballplayer.

it's ok to be excited about carlson considering how bad our farm system is as a whole.
To do it once is an MVP caliber season by itself, let alone expecting it to be an average year.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

ghostrunner wrote:
haltz wrote:
salukifan2 wrote:
Big Amoco Sign wrote:On a couple of the highlights of Carlson's home runs on here, you can see balls barely clearing that 315 fence.

Pop flies in many parks. From rookie ball to MLB.

Not saying Carlson isn't a stud...
lukethedrifter wrote:Why does the big league club allow this? I guess it doesn’t make any diff.
So Mo can fleece teams with a fake AA masher and boost righty confidence
Care to post a link to these wall scrapers?
I looked through the thread and I don't think they exist. There's a video of one that was close but ruled a double.

It's 315 down the line in LF and it looks like he only hit three homers RH at home this year. Maybe four. I found video of two of them and a description of a third in a game recap and none are down the line.

So I'd also like a link. Maybe there are some clips of him going oppo LH over that short porch or I missed something.
There's a spray chart here and you can choose which level you're looking at

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-p ... suals-milb
So he hit one home run that would've been to the track at Busch in LF according to that chart. Pretty sure that one was on the road but I'd be happy to see the video of that and the other one that supposedly exists.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

But that doesn’t fit my narrative- despite my being a data guy.

A little information can be a dangerous thing?

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

For the supposed wall scrapers, I saw several of his shots go way out, especially from the left side. A few are posted in this thread.

I'd expect something like .260 BA-.360 OBP-20 HRs as a midpoint for Dylan with slightly better than average defense in a corner. Best case is a .280-.290 hitter with a great batting eye (.400ish OBP) and 30 HRs with good defense. Pick your favorite comp player.

So basically, average player to a star. And I don't care so much about Hammonds Field. The guy has been very young for his level every year and has played in some of the worst hitter's parks in the minors so it's interesting to see him play in a better park for a year. Our hitting prospects are often devalued by comparing leagues and not parks at A, A+ and AAA.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I see Nick Markakis.

salukifan2
Veteran Player

Post by salukifan2 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I see Nick Markakis.
Wow, thats seriously high praise. Youre talking about a 15 year vet who has almost 30 WAR and was an all star at age 35.

2400 hits and 500 Doubles

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Nick Markakis as a good defender in CF with speed on the bases - as opposed to a poor defending, slow-footed corner OF’er - is one of the better players of his generation.

I will gladly take that

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

JD Drew with a better PR guy?

I’m just making [expletive] up.