Uncle Charlie

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What are your thoughts on Adam Wainwright after this season?

Hats off to a great career
15%
Re-sign him to a similar one year deal
70%
Bring him back as a long man/reliever
9%
Time for him to retire
3%
Wainwright would be a great addition to FSMW
3%

Total votes: 33

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Re: Uncle Charlie

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Will 2020 Wainwright be the same as 2019 Wainwright?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:It can't be him AND Wacha in the rotation.

I'd like to see Martinez stay the closer but he wants to start.

Flaherty
Hudson
Mikolas
Martinez
Wainwright

That could be pretty good but who will close next year?
gallegos to close IMO (hicks should be hopefully back middle/end of next year as well)..and Martinez will start if healthy...that contract plus his vocal desire to start, and I can't see them not moving him back to the rotation if healthy.

I want Cole; no matter the cost...still pissed about Max. this rotation is potentially great/best in NL...

Cole
Flaherty
Mikolas
Martinez
Hudson

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

now, if the question is, what WILL the FO do?

oh, he's coming back, no doubt in my mind...he's been good as a 5th starter, and they will def push their luck

0% chance they even look at Cole, I bet

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

i really dont think cmart is a starter anymore. and i dont think he should be figured into the 2020 plans.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

go birds wrote:i really dont think cmart is a starter anymore. and i dont think he should be figured into the 2020 plans.
This is where I'm at.

I'm assuming Hicks is pretty much useless for 2020.
I'm assuming that the Cardinals will have Martinez stretch out in Spring Training as a starter.
I'm also assuming that Martinez will get hurt during Spring Training and won't be ready to come back until May. When he comes back, he'll try to start but there will be another setback until he finally agrees that he should be a reliever/closer.
All of this means that I"m assuming that Martinez won't be in the bullpen and ready until June.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Not to derail the Wainwright thread but why are people giving up on Carlos Martinez?

Do we really know if he has a chronic issue in his shoulder? Or is he in the pen because of a finicky front office?

Carlos should be back in the rotation. He's controlled at a very small price for how good he is. I doubt Mozeliak signs a Cole type unless he is aiming to be the next Dombrowski.

Carlos Martinez has more WAR than Hudson in 110+ less innings this year.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Goold was pretty clear last week that the club thinks Martinez is healthy and strong now and everyone involved wants to see him back as a starter.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Martinez is starting next season. Wacha is gone. If they keep Wainwright that's your five. It's a big if. And there is still the chance that he will just retire after this season; especially if they make a deep playoff run; he might feel like it is a good way to go out.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

This offseason has about 10 or so free agent SPs that can get you 2 WAR or more over the course of the season.

They need to figure out if they want a piecemeal sabe rotation full of Jordan Lyles types or get long term staples in here.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:This offseason has about 10 or so free agent SPs that can get you 2 WAR or more over the course of the season.
That's a broader discussion than just Wainwright; but there is also the fact that the team could look drastically if trades are made in the offseason; who knows what the staff might look like.