Uncle Charlie

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What are your thoughts on Adam Wainwright after this season?

Hats off to a great career
15%
Re-sign him to a similar one year deal
70%
Bring him back as a long man/reliever
9%
Time for him to retire
3%
Wainwright would be a great addition to FSMW
3%

Total votes: 33

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Uncle Charlie

Post by CardsofSTL »

So we are approaching the end of the season and Adam Wainwright might be nearing the end of his career. Were you surprised by his ability to pitch effectively this season? Do you think he can contribute next season? He and Yadier have a lot of history together; do they continue the lovefest or is it time to make room for younger arms?

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Re: Uncle Charlie

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

I think he's a perfect 5th starter. You pretty much know his line before he pitches. He's been one of the more pleasant surprises of this year.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

For me, the potential injury risk is too high with him. If we had a young starter that we thought we could plug in and play in the case of an injury -- like we did with Flaherty and Weaver -- then I would be for it. But, we don't have that. Instead, we have a hole that we probably can't fill internally for two years. Angel Rondon is the next likely guy to stick and hold a spot and he's 2 years away. Best approach is to find the best starter we can afford, or grab in trade, and make the rotation a real strength.

If AW wants to play another season, I would be more inclined to let him pitch from the pen. Losing Martinez and Hicks leaves a significant gap. Not saying AW should close, but he could be useful out there.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Sutter'sBeard wrote:I think he's a perfect 5th starter. You pretty much know his line before he pitches. He's been one of the more pleasant surprises of this year.
This. I was expecting apocalypse, instead we got 150+ innings of stable, 4.23 FIP pitching. I'm not sure how you would determine what the average 5th starter in MLB produces, but I would guess it's worse than that.

Looks to me like with his incentives, he'll get $9.5 mil this year. If he'd do the same deal again, that's something they gotta do.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Will 2020 Wainwright be the same as 2019 Wainwright?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'm ok with him being a 5th starter, but moves have to be made (Cole, Wheeler) in order for it to be viable.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

It can't be him AND Wacha in the rotation.

I'd like to see Martinez stay the closer but he wants to start.

Flaherty
Hudson
Mikolas
Martinez
Wainwright

That could be pretty good but who will close next year?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

gotta believe that hudson will come crashing back to to earth

the FO will have some tough decision to make this offseason

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Wano has far exceeded what I expected from him this year. Kind of feel like they're playing with fire if they bring him back expecting similar results next year. But, I'd prefer they keep him around in some role until he's ready to retire as long as there's an understanding that his role will be commensurate with his abilities. Tough to believe after this year he wouldn't be at least good enough to fill in as a mop up reliever, at worst, next year. As such, I'd bring him back.

Sure, spending $10M on the 25th man to pitch garbage innings isn't an ideal business strategy, but it's Wano and he's more than earned the right to end his career on his terms, imo.

All that said, they better not ink him into the rotation and expect 180 innings of 4.0 ERA production. If the FO is smart enough to bring him back and not do that is my main concern.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:Wano has far exceeded what I expected from him this year. Kind of feel like they're playing with fire if they bring him back expecting similar results next year. But, I'd prefer they keep him around in some role until he's ready to retire as long as there's an understanding that his role will be commensurate with his abilities. Tough to believe after this year he wouldn't be at least good enough to fill in as a mop up reliever, at worst, next year. As such, I'd bring him back.

Sure, spending $10M on the 25th man to pitch garbage innings isn't an ideal business strategy, but it's Wano and he's more than earned the right to end his career on his terms, imo.

All that said, they better not ink him into the rotation and expect 180 innings of 4.0 ERA production. If the FO is smart enough to bring him back and not do that is my main concern.
That's pretty much where I am, at this point.