The Off-season Plan

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: The Off-season Plan

Post by Jocephus »

Paul
Any chance the Cardinals start Thomas and O'Neill in the Corners and make Fowler the 4th outfielder? Doesn't make sense to start an older declining player ahead of two younger guys with more potential upside. Also any chance Fowler waives the No Trade Clause if Carlson starts tearing up AAA and gets called up?

Craig Edwards
The Cardinals had better outfielders last year and Fowler got 574 PA. I think it would take a lot to get Fowler out of a starting role. If the Cardinals were out of it and Fowler was playing well, I could see him waiving his no-trade clause, but that seems like a pretty far-fetched scenario. If Fowler is about to lose his job, a Fowler trade seems like a pretty tough one to make.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I wish there was a way to forget that fowler and carpenter are signed for 2 more freaking seasons...

(and most likely 3 for carpenter since his vesting option for 2022 will most likely be hit based on past PA apperances)

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

That chart from Sportrac is laughably dishonest.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Dan
What's the most likely reason the Cards didn't upgrade the offense? Sunk cost for Carp/Fowler? Too high payroll overall? Giving opportunity to prospects?

Ben Clemens
This is a good question, and I don't know that we'll ever get an answer from them, so I'll just have to hypothesize. I think the team is reasonably banking on a bounceback from Carpenter, but I'm pessimistic there.
I think that they're also in the position where it's a tough team to upgrade, because honestly, Nick Castellanos versus whichever of hte prospects works out best isn't an obvious call to me.
It's a downer for 2020, because they'll have to play these guys a bit and might pick the wrong one, but the Cardinals are facing their usual issue of enough pretty decent guys that it's a tough roster to upgrade.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Dude's only 22 and did put up a 3.40 FIP/3.53 xFIP in AA ball over 146 IP. Low walks and HR rate. I don't hate it!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Brett
Hi Craig, who would be the most likely Cardinal to have a surprise 5+ WAR year?

Craig Edwards
Probably Harrison Bader or Matt Carpenter. Carlos Martinez with an outside shot if he pitched 180 innings.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:Dude's only 22 and did put up a 3.40 FIP/3.53 xFIP in AA ball over 146 IP. Low walks and HR rate. I don't hate it!
I'm intrigued.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

I would have to think Mo has to be interested in looking into the Joc Pederson situation..... Pederson mashes RHP. Our current CF is much betteer vs. LHP. Seems like a great potential fit. Vs RHP a lineup of the following would look a lot better imo
Wong
Carpenter
Goldy
Pederson
Dejong
O'Neill/Thomas/Bader
Fowler/Edman
Yadi
Pitcher

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

DeadMoney wrote:
February 10 20, 8:37 am
I would have to think Mo has to be interested in looking into the Joc Pederson situation..... Pederson mashes RHP. Our current CF is much betteer vs. LHP. Seems like a great potential fit. Vs RHP a lineup of the following would look a lot better imo
Wong
Carpenter
Goldy
Pederson
Dejong
O'Neill/Thomas/Bader
Fowler/Edman
Yadi
Pitcher
Pederson does seem like an ideal fit to platoon with all the righties we have.