Robot Umpires on their way to MLB

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Re: Robot Umpires on their way to MLB

Post by TGantz »

How can you not be romantic about baseball? Robot [expletive] umpires.

Baseball has always been a microcosm of society. Robots are making their way into every industry. Figured it was coming at some point. But I don't think we need the game to be perfectly called. I think the human element is a major part of the game.

Without looking, who were the last 5 pitchers that pitched a perfect game?

Who was the last guy that had a perfect game ruined by a wrong call? I'm sure most people here could tell me immediately. Obviously it's cool as heck to watch a complete perfect game, but I enjoyed the drama and redemption of the Gallarraga story much more. It brought out a lot more emotions and had me invested in the story.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

TGantz wrote:
January 21 22, 12:44 pm

Baseball has always been a microcosm of society. Robots are making their way into every industry. Figured it was coming at some point. But I don't think we need the game to be perfectly called. I think the human element is a major part of the game.

Who was the last guy that had a perfect game ruined by a wrong call? I'm sure most people here could tell me immediately. Obviously it's cool as heck to watch a complete perfect game, but I enjoyed the drama and redemption of the Gallarraga story much more. It brought out a lot more emotions and had me invested in the story.
The "human element" is the players.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
January 21 22, 12:52 pm
TGantz wrote:

++
Players, coaches, managers. Hell, even the mascots. If we could get all the umpire functions sufficiently replaced with robots/cameras/computers, I'd be all for it.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I think arguments with robot umpires will be a lot more entertaining.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
January 21 22, 1:26 pm
TGantz wrote:

++
Players, coaches, managers. Hell, even the mascots. If we could get all the umpire functions sufficiently replaced with robots/cameras/computers, I'd be all for it.
That's a long way off. I'd say never. Think about how close an ump has to get to see out/safe and what he's got to be aware of to get there. If you haven't tried to be a field umpire it's hard to comprehend the years of work necessary to get to the expertise you see in the bigs. Those guys make the big bucks because they are in the right place at the right time 99% of the time. Think about what it would take to get a camera at the right angle/location without getting in the way of plays happening as fast as they occur.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

MLB certainly gets a lot of use out of it's minor league system.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 21 22, 1:38 pm
redbirdjazzz wrote:
January 21 22, 1:26 pm
TGantz wrote:

++
That's a long way off. I'd say never. Think about how close an ump has to get to see out/safe and what he's got to be aware of to get there. If you haven't tried to be a field umpire it's hard to comprehend the years of work necessary to get to the expertise you see in the bigs. Those guys make the big bucks because they are in the right place at the right time 99% of the time. Think about what it would take to get a camera at the right angle/location without getting in the way of plays happening as fast as they occur.
Oh, I agree with you completely. I just have no attachment to the "human element" of the umpires. Apart from a small level of flamboyance in signaling calls, I want no emotions and as few mistakes as possible involved in umpiring (obviously a pipedream).

Moving away from yes/no calls on the field, I'm damn sick of umpires escalating situations with players and coaches. They need to turn their backs and say nothing. If the player/coach continues beyond whatever specified point of no return exists, eject them, but don't engage, don't argue, and most of all, don't get emotionally involved. If they can't do that, then MLB needs to punish them (proportionally) more than they do the players.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If the lockout doesn't end we will also have robot players.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Think that they’re needed now. Come on.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 27 22, 8:55 am
Think that they’re needed now. Come on.
Be ready to trade this for unhittable strikes high in the zone. When pitchers learn to bring in those 12-6 curves so they go across the back of the top of the zone, you'll be clamoring for changes. Maybe the software can be tuned to let a fastball on there while disallowing an ephus at the same spot. We'll see I guess. Nothings perfect.