Matthew Liberatore Traded to Cards

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Matthew Liberatore Traded to Cards

Post by CardsofSTL »

Word on the street is that Donaldson has some 4 year offers out there. I don't think he's looking for a 1-2 year contract and there are already several bidders for his services. Rockies most likely are waiting for Donaldson to sign so they can get the losers to bid for Arenado.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

CardsofSTL wrote:Word on the street is that Donaldson has some 4 year offers out there. I don't think he's looking for a 1-2 year contract and there are already several bidders for his services. Rockies most likely are waiting for Donaldson to sign so they can get the losers to bid for Arenado.
This all day long. He's not signing a 1-2yr jobber. I don't know if he's waiting out out the whole Bryant/Nolan rumors. But there's no way after having 4 yr offers on the table, which he does(Twins), he turns around and then takes another flyer. Even more absurd would be the thought that BDW would offer him an inflated salary just to take less years..

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

If you can trick Rockies into getting Arenado for Bader, Montero, and another piece...I'm all for it. I'm "no" if Gorman involved.

And if payroll excuse is why we sit on our hands so much, then why are we about to acquire a 31m AAV guy? And which money guys on our side go? Carlos? Fowler would probably waive no-trade for CO but why would they take him? The reason they want to trade Arenado is solely for money reasons.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Going to stand by my controversial opinion that I'd like Arenado to be on the Cardinals. I don't much care who the Cardinals trade for Arenado because no one who could potentially be in the trade is as good as Arenado. I'm also not concerned about Bill Dewitt IX's great grandson's retirement fund, so pay Arenado whatever his contract says he's being paid. I want to watch awesome baseball players again and I only have so many days on this planet. I don't want to watch Molina bat fifth. I'm dying on this hill.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Also, sign Ozuna. He wants to play in St. Louis. The team is printing money and has put a crap offense out there for years. Pay him. Trade for Arenado. Let's have some [expletive] fun for a change.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

jagtrader wrote:Going to stand by my controversial opinion that I'd like Arenado to be on the Cardinals. I don't much care who the Cardinals trade for Arenado because no one who could potentially be in the trade is as good as Arenado. I'm also not concerned about Bill Dewitt IX's great grandson's retirement fund, so pay Arenado whatever his contract says he's being paid. I want to watch awesome baseball players again and I only have so many days on this planet. I don't want to watch Molina bat fifth. I'm dying on this hill.
Same

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

One other thing: if Thomas breaks out and Carlson is a star, the Cardinals can field an outfield with Ozuna, Thomas and Carlson. They're allowed to have eight position players in their lineup and none of them has to be a reclamation project with a bad contract. The rules say it's OK. I looked it up.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

fangraphs write-up: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/rays-and-ca ... -the-well/

It's a solid article if you can get past the weird beginning. Here's the conclusion:
So would I do this trade if I were the Rays? Sure, I think so. They clearly like Arozarena, and he can make their team better right away. But would I do this trade if I were the Cardinals? In a heartbeat. Whatever my opinion of Arozarena, they clearly didn’t share it, or he would have gotten more opportunities in the majors. Given the chance to flip someone they don’t love for a top prospect, they seized the shot. The trade could work out for the Rays. But from a process standpoint, I’m with the Cardinals on this one.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
jagtrader wrote:Going to stand by my controversial opinion that I'd like Arenado to be on the Cardinals. I don't much care who the Cardinals trade for Arenado because no one who could potentially be in the trade is as good as Arenado. I'm also not concerned about Bill Dewitt IX's great grandson's retirement fund, so pay Arenado whatever his contract says he's being paid. I want to watch awesome baseball players again and I only have so many days on this planet. I don't want to watch Molina bat fifth. I'm dying on this hill.
Same
I think a stud like Gorman who could be better than Arenado (the playing 81 games at Busch version of Arenado, specifically) for a lot longer than two years is worth hanging onto. You guys don't have to get mad about it. Don't have to do "So EdGy!!1" posts either. I just like Gorman.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on January 10 20, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

jagtrader wrote:I'm also not concerned about Bill Dewitt IX's great grandson's retirement fund, so pay Arenado whatever his contract says he's being paid. I want to watch awesome baseball players again and I only have so many days on this planet. I don't want to watch Molina bat fifth. I'm dying on this hill.
Quit worrying about what hills to die on. You already said that.

We agree about DeWitt. I don't give a rip about payroll but it begs the question: why now? Could have made some good moves last offseason that got us further into the playoffs for just money.

Back to the Liberatore trade: I think this was a move to counter some of what Flores has been doing with the drafts and getting position players. The drafting of Thompson showed they wanted to go back to what they found successful. The trading for a young good arm affirms that thinking to me.