The DH is coming, The DH is coming!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

How will you feel about the DH being implemented across all of MLB?

Hate it
36%
Love it
15%
EH
48%

Total votes: 33

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: The DH is coming, The DH is coming!

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I would honestly be surprised if MLB sent out a memo now instead of March to help suppress salaries.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I'll miss parts of the pitcher hitting but I won't miss the fact that a guy bats 1/9th of the time when based solely on his hitting wouldn't get promoted above rookie ball.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
December 7 20, 10:36 am
The idea that the players would give something up to get the DH is the stupidest part of this whole story.
They did last year. It was part of the greater negotiations that included expanded playoffs. It's something the players very much want, so it must be collectively bargained aren't just going into give it to them. I still think that the owners will exchange expanded playoffs again in 2021 for the DH this season but none of those negotiations will happen until they have an idea of the playing environment for 2021. I expect the owners to want to cut games and/or salary since they likely won't be able to have 162 games with fans. The DH is not a large carrot but it will be part of the negotiations.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
December 7 20, 10:36 am
The idea that the players would give something up to get the DH is the stupidest part of this whole story.
Remember, the player's union representatives are veterans, and like any union, prioritizes the interests of incumbents over minor leaguers and younger players. The DH in both leagues represents 32 starting jobs for veterans who otherwise would be lower-paid bench bats or out of the league due to their defensive liabilities. While not the critical issue, it's definitely worth something to the player's union

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

They’re also well-paid, stable jobs as opposed to, say, a 7th reliever who probably is up and down for a whole season.

Now, selling out the September callups who probably make more in a month in the majors than a season in the minors, that’s not great.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 9 20, 10:04 am
They’re also well-paid, stable jobs as opposed to, say, a 7th reliever who probably is up and down for a whole season.

Now, selling out the September callups who probably make more in a month in the majors than a season in the minors, that’s not great.
Are they talking about doing away with Sept callups in exchange for like an expanded roster all season? Please remind me again what you are referring to here.

The DH is already there all throughout the minors IIRC. So minor league pitchers who get promoted that have not practiced hitting regularly for a few years will like not having to bat against MLB pitching. I agree the DH may not be good for minor league position players coming up though. A guy like Matt Carpenter can stick around longer and take up a roster spot.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

pioneer98 wrote:
December 9 20, 11:40 am

Are they talking about doing away with Sept callups in exchange for like an expanded roster all season? Please remind me again what you are referring to here.
That was already settled in 2019. September rosters are a minimum and maximum of 28.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The only DH I rep is Don't Hate.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Syndergaardengnomes: If you had to guess, what are the odds of NL DH? What are the odds of expanded playoffs? I haven’t met a single real baseball fan who prefers expanded playoffs… Why are we cheapening the 162 game season?

Meg Rowley: I still think the DH is an inevitability and the league has certainly demonstrated a willingness to change up the rules midstream, so I could see that being sprung upon teams in a few months. I think we will also see expanded playoffs but I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up being a point of contention in the next CBA, so if we get them again in 2021, I don’t imagine they will be in their final form.

Meg Rowley: tldr we’ll have both eventually, the league will try to leverage the DH to get expanded playoffs, teams will express a desire for a universal DH, we might end up with one sort of last minute, and I imagine we have both on a permanent basis for 2022.