The DH is coming, The DH is coming!

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

How will you feel about the DH being implemented across all of MLB?

Hate it
36%
Love it
15%
EH
48%

Total votes: 33

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: The DH is coming, The DH is coming!

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

TheoSqua wrote:
GeddyWrox wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:....
For example, what if the DH could be removed in exchange for rearranging the lineup? Say the Angels are down by 2 runs in the 7th, they have runners at 1st and 3rd with two outs and Trout is 4 batters away. They could forfeit their DH slot in exchange for moving Trout up in the lineup.

It doesn't seem any more complicated than a double-switch, can only happen once in the game, and increases the number of times your best hitter is up to bat when it matters.
It's like the castle move in chess! Sheer anarchy!
My Dad still swears that's cheating.
I guess he'd throw the board over if you tried en passant.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Leroy wrote:Why not just make the DH pitch to one batter for every time he bats?
3 batter minimum

TheTimeIsNow
All-Star

Post by TheTimeIsNow »

I have always been anti-DH. I have always loved the extra strategy involved with pinch hitting, bunting, etc. However, I have now come to terms with the fact that the DH is coming so I am ready for it. It will be weird at first, but like every other rule change, we will get used to it.

Plus, I'll never have to watch Josh Bell on defense ever again. So there's the silver lining.

EDIT: The rule change I REALLY want, that I know won't happen, is a salary floor. But's that a whole different discussion.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:
Leroy wrote:Why not just make the DH pitch to one batter for every time he bats?
3 batter minimum
Three straight at-bats for the DH--one with a regular baseball bat, and the other two with a corkball bat. A pitcher has to run the bases for the DH if the DH gets on.

Additionally, the DH's walk-up music is the song of his choice, but for the other two at-bats, the music changes to the Percy Faith Orchestra's version of "Good Morning Starshine."

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

sighyoung wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
3 batter minimum
Three straight at-bats for the DH--one with a regular baseball bat, and the other two with a corkball bat. A pitcher has to run the bases for the DH if the DH gets on.

Additionally, the DH's walk-up music is the song of his choice, but for the other two at-bats, the music changes to the Percy Faith Orchestra's version of "Good Morning Starshine."
I love this.

ndistops
All-Star

Post by ndistops »

TheTimeIsNow wrote:I have always been anti-DH. I have always loved the extra strategy involved with pinch hitting, bunting, etc. However, I have now come to terms with the fact that the DH is coming so I am ready for it. It will be weird at first, but like every other rule change, we will get used to it.

Plus, I'll never have to watch Josh Bell on defense ever again. So there's the silver lining.

EDIT: The rule change I REALLY want, that I know won't happen, is a salary floor. But's that a whole different discussion.
We could eventually get a salary floor. We just aren't getting one without a hard salary cap.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

How about this: DH and 145 games? I wish it could happen.

I don't love it, but it will be fine. Seems like it will be very soon. The reliever rules came on super fast and are pretty radical, really.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, MLB instructed clubs in a memo last week "to proceed under the assumption" that the designated hitter will not be used in the National League next year.

This nugget was revealed as part of Rosenthal's notes column on Monday. It came within the greater context of a question of roster size and how it might be impacted by the Rule 5 Draft. MLB implemented the DH in the NL this year due to COVID-19, an effort aimed at reducing the workload on starting pitchers. The uncertainty over the situation has cast a large shadow over the early part of the offseason, as a number of free agents could see their markets slashed in half. Nelson Cruz stands out the most, but Marcell Ozuna could also factor in here. Similarly, a team like the Mets could alter their offseason plans with both Pete Alonso and Dominic Smith in-house. There's always the chance something is negotiated which keeps the DH in the NL -- the players certainly wouldn't mind that -- but the owners would have to get something in return, with expanded playoffs one obvious possibility.
Source: The Athletic
Dec 7, 2020, 9:31 AM ET

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

The idea that the players would give something up to get the DH is the stupidest part of this whole story.