Offseason disappointment

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Offseason disappointment

Post by jagtrader »

Looking forward to that first afternoon game where they fall behind 3-0 early and the atmosphere is downright funereal because everyone knows they can't score enough runs to win. Those are becoming a trademark. So, no, not really excited.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

At the very least, I think most reasonable fans acknowledge there's a pretty good chance the Cardinals are worse this year. Given how weak the NL Central looks generally, it's hard not to point at the front office/owner and say they just made a conscious decision not to try very hard to win a winnable division. I get how they can somewhat rationalize their choice based on self-imposed money constraints, but it doesn't make the truth more palatable: a lot of things have to go right for the Cardinals to contend. And I don't really consider winning 87 or 88 games "contending."

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I am choosing to be optimistic about the season and happy that there will soon be baseball. It might be nice if the Cardinals always spent big on an offseason acquisition or made a big trade; but that's never been the Cardinals strategy. We all know this.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
February 14 20, 11:31 am
I am choosing to be optimistic about the season and happy that there will soon be baseball. It might be nice if the Cardinals always spent big on an offseason acquisition or made a big trade; but that's never been the Cardinals strategy. We all know this.
These two comments made me LOL.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

dmarx114 wrote:
February 14 20, 11:39 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
Perhaps you'll let me in on the joke.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

We're in a pretty lame Cardinals era (NLCS and all). Made lamer as it follows a truly amazing one. But once they start throwing and swinging (unproductively) I'll be on board. I'm still a fan.

The off-season was definitely disappointing. We're going to score 13 runs this season. And if we score 14, I'll lick lead paint: ironic because that's what Jeff Albert's coaching our hitters to do.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

I'm excited for the season as usual but I don't think they have the team to contend with the top portion of the league. I do however think they have a good enough team to squeak out a division win.

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

GRB has been perpetually disappointed in the Cardinals offseason since the forum opened 14 years ago, so I’m not sure why 2020 is so different.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
February 14 20, 12:08 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
2018: Cardinals trade for Ozuna
2019: Cardinals trade for Goldy
2020: "It's never been the Cardinals strategy to make a big trade."

Me: LOL

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

dmarx114 wrote:
February 14 20, 1:53 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
February 14 20, 12:08 pm
dmarx114 wrote:
CardsofSTL wrote:
2018: Cardinals trade for Ozuna
2019: Cardinals trade for Goldy
2020: "It's never been the Cardinals strategy to make a big trade."

Me: LOL
Reading comprehension is a valuable skill. I said it might be nice if the Cardinals ALWAYS spent big on an offseason acquisition or made a big trade; I did not say that they never do. It is always the Cardinals first impulse to look within for solutions to their roster; and that is fine. Other teams choose to make the big splashes in the trade and free agent markets. It is a different way of doing business.