Miles Mikolas

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Miles Mikolas

Post by Jocephus »

i forgot they extended miles

at this point we need a oprah/mo gif of "you get an extension, you get an extension, and you get an extension!"

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Fat Strat wrote:
February 18 20, 10:46 am

Not sure Mikolas would be as effective out of the bullpen as CMart. But stranger things have happened.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Jocephus wrote:
February 18 20, 10:01 am
i forgot they extended miles

at this point we need a oprah/mo gif of "you get an extension, you get an extension, and you get an extension!"
haha

and if Molina and/or Wong get an extension this spring training, I just may completely lose my [expletive]

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

CardsofSTL wrote:
February 18 20, 10:48 am
Not sure Mikolas would be as effective out of the bullpen as CMart. But stranger things have happened.
Probably not, but it would be about protecting his arm.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Fat Strat wrote:
February 18 20, 12:45 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
February 18 20, 10:48 am
Probably not, but it would be about protecting his arm.
Granted. I'd rather he not be injured if given the choice though. k/thx

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

First post of the thread:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
February 15 20, 10:40 am
Mikolas had soreness at times last season. At end of playoffs, had PRP injection and was prescribed rest. Threw bullpen, now has a familiar soreness along flexor. Is likely headed for an MRI for greater clarity. #cardinals -Goold

THen this:
cardsfantx wrote:
February 18 20, 9:10 am
Apparently getting another injection

His contract extension kicks in starting this year (4 years)...we’ll see how this one turns out for Mo
Miles Mikolas (forearm) has received a platelet-rich plasma injection and will need to rest for three to four weeks.

Mikolas has been dealing with soreness in his flexor tendon, so the hope is that the injection will get him back on track. The Cardinals will see how he feels in a few weeks, but even assuming he feels good, he'll need to start back at square one with his throwing program. Starting the year on the injured list is basically a certainty at this point and he could end up missing most of April, at minimum. Kwang-Hyun Kim now appears likely to land a rotation spot.
So they did a PRP injection and it didn't work. Their plan now is to give him another PRP injection execting it to work.

Bold strategy, Cotton, let's see how it plays out.

Fat Strat

Post by Fat Strat »

What else can they do? The MRI didn't reveal any real damage to the elbow itself. That's the critical part here. It's continued inflammation. So, either they do essentially an elective and invasive surgery -- TJ -- or they continue to allow the elbow to rest in a more controlled environment.

You have to view this as protecting the joint and being conservative with the joint, which might just need more time to heal and settle down. Sprains around ligaments are notoriously slow to heal, but that doesn't mean that they need to be cut out and removed.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

It's just odd. I don't know everything about PRP, but at its core it's not an anti-inflammatory injection like a steroid or cortisone or whatever injection where they pump chemicals/meds in there to quell the inflammation. It's just blood from the patient that's centrifuged until all the 'good' parts of the blood are separated from the 'not-needed' parts of the blood. Then that's sometimes mixed with stuff like HGH though who knows if that's legal for MLB players and they inject the 'good' blood into the area with the thought that the good blood will heal whatever is wrong. That can be cartilage, ligaments, muscles, etc. And, there's some evidence it works.

But, they already did it. And, unlike a joint where cortisone can be re-applied every so often to fight off inflammation and work time after time, PRP doesn't seem like the kind of treatment that will work the second time if it didn't work the first time.

But, what do I know.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

If his slider was his 3rd, or 4th, best pitch I wouldn't be as concerned about a reduced role. But it's his 2nd best pitch, and until we gear more about him "working on his change up" I won't really expect any success in any role. He'll be compensating madly and really hurt that arm...