Paul "Bum" DeJong

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Can Paul DeJong become a gold glove Shortstop?

Yes
67%
No
26%
IDK and IDC
7%

Total votes: 27

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Paul "Bum" DeJong

Post by CardsofSTL »

Ozzie has an idea how DeJong can be even better in the field
As Cardinals shortstop Paul DeJong lined up for his first defensive drills of the season, there was a voice in his ear that said he could do better. The speaker was the world’s oldest shortstop — and likely its best defensively — 65-year-old Ozzie Smith, who was alternating taking ground balls with DeJong.

While DeJong is seeking his first Gold — he finished in the top three at shortstop last season — Hall of Famer Smith has 13.

“I just want to reinforce him at what he’s already good at,” said Smith....

But what Smith wanted to remind the 26-year-old DeJong of was to “keep moving” while he was awaiting a possible play in the field.

“Not starting from a standstill,” Smith said. It didn’t matter whether Smith moved side to side or front to back. He was always moving and wants DeJong to do the same.

“Do what’s most comfortable for you,” Smith said. “But you can’t be like this (flat-footed) here and the ball’s hit over there. If you are moving that way, you’ve got momentum going to it.”

DeJong quickly absorbed Smith’s advice. “Like a fish in water,” Smith said. “That’s why he’s so good. It’s a little thing, not a big thing, but he’s got good movement and he already had good hands and good eyes.

DeJong, who was charged with just seven errors and who took part in 104 double plays last season while starting 156 of 162 games at shortstop, also hit 30 home runs, so a lot is expected of him at that position.

That’s all well and good, but Smith cautioned, “You’ve got to be mentally strong enough to separate the two. And he’s been able to do that.”

On Monday, the two started a few days of playing side by side.

“I didn’t even bring my glove out,” said Smith, who planned just to coach the first day until infield instructor Jose Oquendo, a longtime Cardinals teammate of Smith’s, said, “Where’s your glove?”

The Cardinals had no other shortstops during DeJong’s drills, so Oquendo tossed Smith his own small glove.

“Rookie,” said Oquendo, smiling and shaking his head.

DeJong marveled at Smith’s agility. “It’s pretty unreal that he still has the rhythm,” DeJong said. “It’s hard to believe he’s 65 years old and he’s even using (Oquendo’s) training glove and he’s catching everything.

Cusumano: The Wong/DeJong chemistry is one of the best stories on Cardinals
Wong won the Gold Glove and DeJong was a finalist. DeJong said he called Wong the day the announcement was about to happen and asked if Kolten had heard any news. Kolten had actually known for weeks but said he didn’t know. Paul knew that Kolten did know. DeJong was so happy for his double play partner.

Last year, the two started working together in November in Jupiter. This year, they started right after the Winter Warm-Up. They do have a chemistry up the middle that may one day rival Ozzie Smith and Tommy Herr. The fact that they are such good friends makes it an even better story.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Paul "Bum" DeJong

Post by heyzeus »

I can't imagine the pressure (but also how cool it would be) to be coached at SS by Ozzie Smith, the actual greatest defensive shortstop of all time.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:
February 19 20, 2:52 pm
I can't imagine the pressure (but also how cool it would be) to be coached at SS by Ozzie Smith, the actual greatest defensive shortstop of all time.
Further down in that article DeJong talks about it a little bit; and how Ozzie makes it easy because he is so approachable. But still...it's the Wizard man.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

he's no Royce Clayton

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

He could definitely win a Fielding Bible award or something comparable, but I'm not sure he has the defensive reputation to win the Gold Glove. Might take a few years.

His offense is in his favor, though. There's every reason in the world to think that his BABIP can bounce back next year and his base offensive stats will get a nice bump. If the elite defense holds up, he's a 5 WAR player and a borderline MVP candidate because of the position he plays.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Fat Strat wrote:
February 19 20, 3:58 pm
He could definitely win a Fielding Bible award or something comparable, but I'm not sure he has the defensive reputation to win the Gold Glove. Might take a few years.

His offense is in his favor, though. There's every reason in the world to think that his BABIP can bounce back next year and his base offensive stats will get a nice bump. If the elite defense holds up, he's a 5 WAR player and a borderline MVP candidate because of the position he plays.
He's on the Ozuna path toward the Gold Glove.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

They can put a man on the moon, but they can't get Paul DeJong a gold glove.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

heyzeus wrote:
January 27 21, 2:33 pm
They can put a man on the moon, but they can't get Paul DeJong a gold glove.
I'm going to make these jeans cool again in honor of DeBum.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I voted No. I think *he* is capable of it. I don't think the people that vote on the award are however. They seem to lean for flash, especially at SS, which Pauly D has none.