Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What will MLB have to do in response to Coronavirus?

Season starts as currently scheduled
No votes
Season starts as scheduled, but with no fans allowed in the stadium
13%
Season begins with a definite delayed start, for example April 15
31%
Season is "suspended indefinitely" a la the NBA
38%
Season's closed, moose out front shoulda told ya
18%

Total votes: 45

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Here's a pretty good article by Passan about what the KBO is doing. Cool hearing from the American players over there.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/289 ... orea-clues

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I think that games in Arizona make sense if they're going to do them. You gotta pick either Florida or Arizona so you don't have to worry about flying from one to the other. Arizona makes more sense then Florida since the facilities are even closer then the Florida facilities which are more scattered around the state.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

...Implementing an electronic strike zone to allow the plate umpire to maintain sufficient distance from the catcher and batter
Well at least something good can come from all of this.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Trying not to get my hopes hp, but at least it's something to potentially look forward to.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

There are a lot of weird logistical questions about Bubble Baseball 2020, but as others have said...see how it goes in Korea.

The only problem is that as a country we are nowhere near Korea in terms of testing, temperature reads, contact tracing, etc. And that's what really needs to happen before we can open back up to semi-normal activities without risking more booms.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

rotoworlds take
According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, MLB and the players' association have discussed a plan which could have the 2020 season begin as soon as May.

As reported by Ronald Blum of the Associated Press, that plan would include all games being played in Arizona without fans, using the Diamondbacks' Chase Field and 10 spring training facilities and possibly other fields as well. The plan has gained support of high-ranking public health officials provided all involved agree to strict isolation and social distancing. The logistics of such a plan are unbelievably challenging and quite frankly, overwhelming. This would include separating players from their families for potentially as along as 4 1/2 months. It's going to be very hard if not impossible to get everyone to agree to that one. There would also need to be a massive increase in the availability of coronavirus tests, so much so that MLB's use them of them wouldn't impact access for the public in general. As for the actual gameplay, seven-inning doubleheaders have been discussed as well as an electronic strike zone and players sitting in the empty stands as opposed to the dugout in order to maintain social distancing. Expanded rosters would be needed to navigate such a unique season. Teams would need two or three weeks in training camps, so beginning in June might be more realistic, but it's clear there's some momentum from both sides with public health officials apparently on board.
Source: ESPN.com
Apr 7, 2020, 7:17 AM ET

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I was just thinking would they also use Chase Field aka The BOB as one of the stadiums for games. It would only make sense playing baseball games in the summer in Arizona you'd want to at least do some of them in the dome which is still close by all of these spring training stadiums.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Why not Tropicana? They are already well suited for social distancing fans.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Ex-MLB player finishes medical school, primes to fight virus
NEW YORK (AP) -- If he wanted, Mark Hamilton could show off his World Series ring at work.

But the fill-in first baseman for the 2011 champion St. Louis Cardinals prefers to keep that prize safe at home.

''The surgical scrub tub, not the most conducive place to wear it,'' Hamilton said.

On Friday, under an accelerated schedule prompted by dire circumstances, the former big leaguer is set to graduate a month early from medical school on Long Island.

Next stop for the rookie doc, the first-hand fight against the coronavirus pandemic in one of the world's hardest-hit areas.

''I could get the call tomorrow, that it's time to go in,'' Hamilton said this week. ''I have had an incredible journey to becoming a doctor over the last four years, and not once did I think that I would find myself entering the field in a time like this.''

''Over both my careers, it's the same thing. You've got a job to do, you're needed, do them to the best of your ability,'' he said.

The 35-year-old Hamilton spent the first half of the 2011 season with the Cardinals. He subbed for slugger Albert Pujols a few times and even got a winning hit that ultimately helped St. Louis squeeze into the playoffs by one game.

The left-handed hitter who played 47 games in the majors will join another lineup once he leaves the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-mlb-player- ... --mlb.html