Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

What will MLB have to do in response to Coronavirus?

Season starts as currently scheduled
No votes
Season starts as scheduled, but with no fans allowed in the stadium
13%
Season begins with a definite delayed start, for example April 15
31%
Season is "suspended indefinitely" a la the NBA
38%
Season's closed, moose out front shoulda told ya
18%

Total votes: 45

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Ass slaps are still totally fine, if gloved, I would hope. Who wants to watch baseball without them?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Parsing MLB’s Claim of a $4 Billion Loss
by Craig Edwards
May 18, 2020
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/parsing-mlb ... lion-loss/

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I know that some players don't want to take the risk but you don't want to be the only sport that doesn't resume playing.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Here is the article which cites an e-mail in which MLB thinks they have proof of a salary revision in the event of fan-less games:
MLB thinks this email is smoking gun in salary fight with players

A March 26 conversation between MLB and the union in which MLB portrays the union as acknowledging that a new negotiation was needed regarding how players would be paid this season could serve as an email version of a smoking gun.

The Post, however, has obtained a March 26 email from an MLB lawyer to top league officials that documents the substance of talks between two MLB officials and two MLBPA officials from earlier that morning. The email covers seven points, including that MLB explained to the union officials that MLB would need a second negotiation if games were not played before fans to determine pay and claims that union officials understood that concept.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/mlb-think ... h-players/
Here is a link to a screenshot of the e-mail:

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2 ... &strip=all

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

mikechamp wrote:
May 19 20, 3:27 pm
Here is the article which cites an e-mail in which MLB thinks they have proof of a salary revision in the event of fan-less games:
MLB thinks this email is smoking gun in salary fight with players

A March 26 conversation between MLB and the union in which MLB portrays the union as acknowledging that a new negotiation was needed regarding how players would be paid this season could serve as an email version of a smoking gun.

The Post, however, has obtained a March 26 email from an MLB lawyer to top league officials that documents the substance of talks between two MLB officials and two MLBPA officials from earlier that morning. The email covers seven points, including that MLB explained to the union officials that MLB would need a second negotiation if games were not played before fans to determine pay and claims that union officials understood that concept.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/mlb-think ... h-players/
Here is a link to a screenshot of the e-mail:

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2 ... &strip=all
This is part of what I don't understand about the conversation going on about this. The deal in March was very exclusive -- you don't sue us for your lost salaries with no games and we give you a full year of service time. The deal was specifically to cover the period with no games and was NOT to cover whatever plan went into effect when games resumed.

I don't mind the players taking a hard stance here but people are trying to claim that the owners can't ask for concessions and then come back and ask for more. The first agreement necessitated the need to come back for a second round of negotiations.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Some MLB players hoping for loosening of restrictions in health proposal
1:19 PM MT

Jesse RogersESPN Staff Writer
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/292 ... h-proposal
Some Major League Baseball players are hoping for tweaks to the health proposal recently offered up by the league as the sport continues its discussions for a restart. Mostly, players want to know whether some in-stadium and clubhouse restrictions can be loosened based on frequent testing for the coronavirus.

"The daily testing, I'm a fan of, to quickly determine our status every day," St. Louis Cardinals infielder Paul DeJong said this week. "But given that, I'd like to see the freedom operating in the clubhouse and on the field."

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

"The daily testing, I'm a fan of, to quickly determine our status every day," St. Louis Cardinals infielder Paul DeJong said this week. "But given that, I'd like to see the freedom operating in the clubhouse and on the field."
What does that even mean?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
May 20 20, 2:24 pm
What does that even mean?
Apparently it's about this stuff:
MLB's protocols inside team facilities call for major changes to previously normal routines. From no spitting -- or even showering -- allowed at the field, to the discontinued use of recovery equipment -- such as hydrotherapy pools and cryotherapy chambers -- many aspects of day-to-day life would change. Even team buffets could be banned.
Also, I didn't know DeJong had a biochemistry degree.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I don't understand the no spitting thing. As long as you're not spitting anywhere near any other players no sure what they issue is. If a second baseman spits while in position there is no other players with several feet of him. Maybe make a rule you can't spit while at bat but to make an across the board rule of not spitting at all makes no sense.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »