Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Discuss what's happening in the day-to-day baseball world.

What will MLB have to do in response to Coronavirus?

Season starts as currently scheduled
No votes
Season starts as scheduled, but with no fans allowed in the stadium
14%
Season begins with a definite delayed start, for example April 15
30%
Season is "suspended indefinitely" a la the NBA
39%
Season's closed, moose out front shoulda told ya
18%

Total votes: 44

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Re: Coronavirus and the 2020 Season (Season Postponed, pg3)

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Would anybody be surprised if the owners brought infected people into the locker rooms in order to get players sick.

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
June 19 20, 4:23 pm
Would anybody be surprised if the owners brought infected people into the locker rooms in order to get players sick.
Yes, I would. From what I've read, there are enough owners who don't want a season that I think a vote is all they'd need, not endangering people's lives through intentional infection.

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

The problem with southern CA is that, if I remember correctly, they had decided last month to not allow certain-sized events until the middle of August. Not sure how they'd be able to host spring trainings, let alone games with no fans.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Major League Baseball is closing all spring training sites in Florida and Arizona, effective immediately.

The facilities will all undergo a deep cleaning, and players and staff will not be permitted back in until they pass a coronavirus test. This comes after the Phillies, Blue Jays, Giants, and Rangers shuttered their training sites on Friday following either scares or positive diagnoses related to COVID-19. It's a big setback on the health front as Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association attempt to sort out a plan for a 2020 season. The finances seem trivial at this point, but it's certainly still an issue as well.
Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter
Jun 19, 2020, 10:30 PM ET
Angels general manager Billy Eppler confirmed late Friday that two players have tested positive for COVID-19.

It's unknown whether they are minor leaguers or major leaguers. The distinction among some of the other recent cases around MLB is that the players in question haven't been working out at a team facility, so there's no cause for concern about an outbreak. Still, with a number of reported cases, MLB has decided to close all spring training sites in Florida and Arizona. All facilities will now undergo a deep cleaning and staff will now be permitted to return unless they pass a coronavirus test. Positive tests are an inevitability if baseball does indeed return, but it's unclear how sustainable such a model can be.
Source: Jeff Fletcher on Twitter
Jun 20, 2020, 8:15 AM ET

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

The Phillies announced Tuesday that one additional player and two additional staff members in Clearwater, Florida tested positive for COVID-19.

The team also announced that one player not in Clearwater tested positive. This comes after five Phillies players and three staff members at the team's facility tested positive late last week. The team tested 32 individuals (12 staff members and 20 players) after the initial outbreak, leading to today's announcement. At minimum, this is a reminder that the road to starting and completing a season this year is going to be a difficult one.
Source: Todd Zolecki on Twitter
Jun 23, 2020, 12:09 PM ET

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Rockies players Charlie Blackmon, Phillip Diehl and Ryan Castellini have tested positive for COVID-19 following workouts at Coors Field, the Denver Post reports.

So it begins. The Post says that only one of the three players has proven symptomatic to date, though it's unclear which of the three that is. Diehl and Castellini are long shots for the Rockies' Opening Day roster, but Blackmon is a mainstay, of course.
Source: Denver Post
Jun 23, 2020, 9:26 PM ET

BottenFieldofDreams
All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Why are the Rockies the only team naming names? Someone needs stitches.

However, I think putting names and faces on it could actually make it less scary for other players, if handled well. And if we've learned anything these few months, it's that baseball is really good at handling things.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Marc Carig and Matt Gelb of The Athletic, one of the Phillies players who recently tested positive for COVID-19 never failed a temperature check.

It's another complicating factor with this virus as Major League Baseball attempts to stage training camps (beginning July 1) and then a 60-game regular season that would run from July 23-September 27. Under the health and safety protocol set in place on Tuesday, players will have temperature and symptom checks twice a day and COVID-19 tests every other day. There might need to be daily testing, if that's possible.
Source: The Athletic
Jun 24, 2020, 10:08 AM ET
Levi Weaver of The Athletic notes that Kyle Gibson has ulcerative colitis and is not required to participate in MLB's planned 60-game season.

Ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune disorder, which makes Gibson a "high risk" individual amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. There doesn't seem to be an exact deadline for players to decide whether they want to participate or not, but we should start hearing some buzz soon with MLB camps due to open this time next week. Gibson signed a three-year, $28 million free agent contract with the Rangers this past winter and was supposed to join Mike Minor, Lance Lynn, Corey Kluber, and Jordan Lyles in a stout Texas rotation.
Source: The Athletic
Jun 24, 2020, 9:19 AM ET
USA Today's Bob Nightengale clarifies that only players who themselves are considered "high risk" can elect to sit out the 2020 season and still receive their full pro-rated pay.

Nightengale had reported on Tuesday night that players who "cohabitate" with a high-risk individual, including a pregnant spouse, would be allowed to abstain from participation in the 60-game campaign and still get full pay. Now comes word that those players can go on a three-day maternity list and be paid, or if it's family emergency, be paid for a maximum of seven days. If the player still needs more time after those seven days, writes Nightengale, it's up to the club's discretion to pay their salary or not. Mike Trout, Gerrit Cole, and Bryce Harper are all expecting children with their significant others this summer, and there are surely more on that list.
Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter
Jun 24, 2020, 9:07 AM ET

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Post by Radbird »

I should be more excited but I’m just kinda blah about the whole thing.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Goold has an article this morning briefly mentioning Jordan Hicks and diabetes; he could be considered high risk, but intends to play, with certain precautions.