Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on March 13. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

You might be wondering why he held another chat so soon. He wanted to address the news of the moment, as well as discuss what they plan to do at MLB Trade Rumors during the shutdown. I don't say this often, but I would recommend everyone click on the link below. Most of the questions he took were of interest to this audience. I know I sometimes add a bonus Q&A or two, but there were several good non-NL Central questions. It was too hard to choose. The good news is that it wasn't a very long chat, so it wouldn't take you too long to read through it all.

Below, I decided to stay true to the format I usually use.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -7143.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dinelson Lamet..Anthony DeSclafani...Steven Matz....pitchers due for a break out?

Steve Adams
I'm very much on board the Dinelson Lamet train.
Should Pirates fans be patient with Cherington & Shelton?

Steve Adams
I was (obviously) pretty harsh on the Pirates in last night's Offseason Review:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/03/ ... es-11.html

I think they had a lousy winter and didn't do enough to get better in the immediate or long-term future. I believe trading Keone Kela, Joe Musgrove and others would've been a good start on what could be a relatively short rebuild, given the presence of guys like Bryan Reynolds, Kevin Newman and (in 2020) Ke'Bryan Hayes. They basically traded Marte (understandably so) and then sat the offseason out.

That said, I think Cherington gets an unfair amount of flak for how things ended in Boston. As I noted at the end of that review, I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt moving forward -- particularly since we don't know what role ownership played in their activity (or lack thereof) as Cherington got acclimated.
Assuming Canning will not be back for most of the year, why not attempt to get a Musgrove or Archer from the Pirates?

Steve Adams
I think there's a good chance the Angels will be connected to both of those guys on the summer trade market (assuming we get one).
Javy Baez: 7 years, $150 million extension. Sound fair?

Steve Adams
I think his camp would call that light. Conservatively say he goes from $10MM in 2020 to $16MM in 2021... you're at 6/134 for his free-agent seasons -- about $22MM a deal for ages 29 through 34.

They'll be looking for a longer deal and a heavier AAV.

Tags: