Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on May 24. Still lots of "what if" questions.

At the end, I included a bonus Q&A about a former Cardinal.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-7878.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Who had the better career, Prince Fielder or Ryan Howard?

No comments; all Mark did was run a poll:

Ryan Howard (53.7% | 240 votes)

Prince Fielder (46.3% | 207 votes)
Does Yadi sign an extension, retire, or test free agency???

Mark Polishuk
Ultimately, I think he'll end up signing an extension with St. Louis. Probably might have happened already in a non-pandemic world.
What is Ben Cherington's plan and how long until they win a division?

Mark Polishuk
For now, it seems like the plan was to evaluate the in-house talent in 2020 in order to see what they really had (with the implication being that the previous front office and coaching staff wasn't getting the most out of the players).

From there, if the feeling was that the cupboard was bare, I'd suspect the Pirates would have embarked on a rebuild. So under normal circumstances, I'd say it might not be until 2024-25 until they contend again... or heck, they might make the playoffs this year, given the vagaries of a short schedule.
Would you take the next 3 years of Rizzo or Goldschmidt?

Mark Polishuk
I'd go with Rizzo. Goldschmidt's 2019 season was already a concern for me.

Related: a bunch more words about Paul Goldschmidt!
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/ ... hmidt.html
Think Theo signs a new contract with the Cubs?

Mark Polishuk
This is purely speculation on my part, but right now, I'd lean toward saying no. Epstein has talked in the past about not wanting to stay in a single place for too long, and he'll always be a hero in Chicago for bringing the Cubs that one title. He could head to another team in search of another challenge.
(A self-identified Cubs fan asked) What kinda package would it take to get Jonathan Gray or Matt Boyd?

Mark Polishuk
For the Cubs, they're still in their (self-imposed) tight payroll situation, and likely don't want to give up the prospects necessary to get either pitcher.

For teams in general, Gray is controlled through 2021 and Boyd through 2022, so Detroit is probably asking for a comparable trade return even though Gray has done more than Boyd at the big league level.
Is Cleveland Theo's final quest?

Mark Polishuk
While breaking the next-longest "curse" would be an incredible third act, there isn't any indication that Antonetti/Chernoff are in any danger of losing their jobs any time soon.
If Theo Epstein gets tired of the frugal ways of cubs ownership, what team can you see banging on his door first?

Mark Polishuk
Purely speculative on my part, but the Phillies and Padres come to mind as a potential candidates.
Should DeWitt consider the front office get the boot for my Cards?

Mark Polishuk
I mean, the Cards did make the NLCS last year, so it's not like they're badly struggling or anything. And the club continues to produce at least one good major league player from the farm system seemingly every season, so the overall pipeline is strong.
Will Albert reach 700?

Mark Polishuk
656 homers now, his contract is up after 2021, and he'll have lost at least half of those two years. I doubt he'll get there, unless Pujols signs somewhere else for 2022.

Tags: