Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on June 1. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Starting to see more draft questions, with the draft approaching soon. I added a bonus Q&A about a fun proposed addition to non-fan-attendance baseball broadcasts. I also added a very blunt Q&A about the current economic negotiations.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -7939.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If the Bucs put Ke'Bryan Hayes at third and move Josh Bell to DH, how much will that improve the Pirates' defense (and pitching)?

Steve Adams
Anything that improves upon Colin Moran at 3B and Josh Bell at 1B will be a pretty notable upgrade. Moran was worse at 3B than Bell at 1B last year. I imagine you'd get something like Hayes at 3B everyday, Moran at DH/Bell at 1B versus righties and Bell at DH/Jose Osuna at 1B vs. lefties.
Assuming we end up getting about a half season's worth of games this year, how do you see Senzel's PT shaking out (assuming DH in NL)? What about Kyle Tucker?

Steve Adams
Seems like they want to get Senzel as many ABs in CF as possible, so that's my expectation. Tucker is in a tougher spot since the Astros have Brantley-Springer-Reddick-Alvarez around the OF and at DH, but I have to think he'll still be worked in semi-regularly since he's such a big part of their future. And obviously if an OF gets hurt he'd be in an everyday role.
What do you expect out of Alex Reyes for the rest of his career?

Steve Adams
It's hard to project too much from a guy who still hasn't even thrown 120 innings in a season and has had multiple arm surgeries before he's ever worked a full big league year. I'm hopeful he can eventually be a high-end reliever, but I have a hard time believing that arm is settling in as a regular source of 30+ starts per year.
Name three teams that will chase after Mike Minor in free agency.

Steve Adams
Rangers, Yankees, Phillies, Twins, Astros, White Sox, Mets, Nationals, Reds -- more than 3 but you get the point.
A lot of teams.
I’d love to see MLB players mic’d up if they play this year. At least a few on each team. I think it’d bring an extra level of intrigue to watching the games on TV (since we likely won’t be able to attend in person). Thoughts?

Steve Adams
I'd love to see them mic'd up even with fans in the stands. It adds an element of fun and makes guys more marketable by showing off their personalities, senses of humor, etc.
Which proposal do you think was more ridiculous, owners or players?

Steve Adams
Both?

Each side is just playing hardball and proposing things that will be rejected out of hand. It's freaking nonsense because the two sides can't just have an actual negotiation. And the constant leaks on small details (which seem to be coming more from ownership than the PA) are tired and transparent.

Tags:

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Thanks for continuing to post these. One of the problems with baseball is that there's no quarterback. The best guys hit 1.3 times an hour, and if they play in RF on the wrong night they'll get maybe four minutes of practical screen time in a game (minus the shots where the announcers are slobbering over them).

Mics could be a great way around this, and help the game build the kind of superstars that ping popular culture. The problem is people will want to hear Mike Trout and not the ghost of Justin Upton. So a fair bit depends on how Trout and Upton feel about that.

OTOH, I still dry heave when I remember Derek Holland doing Harry Carey for Joe Buck in the World Series.