Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on June 30. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

A little more NL Central content this time. I added bonus Q&As about his opinions on the upcoming CBA, in light of how this all went down, and one about the upcoming schedule.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -8215.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Any reason Cherington tries to sign Puig to a 1 year deal with maybe a fairly high 2nd year option to try to find a sparkplug and some potential rental trade value for the rebuilding Bucs?

Steve Adams
The "reason" would be that the Pirates, as presently constructed, look like a bad baseball team. But the Pirates aren't especially concerned with winning in 2020, it doesn't seem, and Bob Nutting of all owners seems unlikely to add any salary in a Puig deal.

I think they should absolutely go for it. They won't, of course, but I'd support that.
Will the Cards search for outfield help?

Steve Adams
Already have Carlson, O'Neill, Thomas, Miller, Dean, Williams as options in LF with Bader and Fowler in the other slots. And if they were going to add someone of note, I have to think they'd have done it in the offseason.

If their OF is bombing after four weeks, maybe they'll consider some changes -- but prior to the year, I doubt it.
Is there any reason to think the next CBA won't be a complete dumpster fire?

Steve Adams
I dunno, this most recent wave of negotiations went pretty smoothl--
:(
I think it'll be a trainwreck.
Any preliminary looks at an actual 2020 MLB schedule?

Steve Adams
Nope -- the Blue Jays are still trying to figure out where they're playing home games!

I'd imagine we'll get some clarity on schedule within the next week.

Tags: