Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Connor Byrne's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Connor Byrne that occurred on August 5. A lot more NL Central content this time, but I also included bonus Q&As about Manfred's contract situation and qualifying for a win in a 7 inning game.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live ... -8483.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Are you surprised the Cardinals didn't promote Dylan Carlson with their recent round of call ups?

Connor Byrne
Sort of. Their offense needs a jolt. I do think Carlson will be up at some point this year.
Are the Cubs/Padres/White Sox/Orioles for real?

Connor Byrne
Yes, yes, yes, no. And by "for real," I mean playoff contenders.
Is Kimbrel done?

Connor Byrne
Remember all the hubbub when he sat in free agency for so long just over a year ago? Maybe these teams knew something we didn't. I was willing to excuse his struggles last season because he didn't have a normal spring training, but it's stunning that he continues to look so awful. Typical of most relievers to fall off a cliff, though. Never happened to Mariano Rivera, which is one of the reasons he's the best ever.
Will Yelich ever hit again?

Connor Byrne
I was looking at his stats before this chat. I knew they were bad, but a 40-something percent strikeout rate and a 3 wRC+? Yikes. I'm not worried about an elite player, but damn. He's very likely not going to be an MVP candidate this year even if he turns it around.
If Kimbrel just turns into a meh middle reliever/setup guy for 7 more years, does he make the HOF?

Connor Byrne
I very much doubt it.
Do you think the Reds will target an arm to solidify their bullpen at the deadline?

Connor Byrne
Most contenders will, and I expect the Reds to be among them.
If you were a betting man, would you bet on Manfred getting an extension after his contract is up?

Connor Byrne
That would be awfully hard to justify as of now, but maybe Manfred can turn it around during the CBA negotiations. He's under contract through 2024.
Does the starting pitcher still have to work 5 innings to qualify for the win if it is a 7 inning game (DH)?

Connor Byrne
Good question. I've never thought about it & don't have an answer, but you have piqued my curiosity.

Tags: