Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on August 11. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Apparently, he likes taking questions about Dylan Carlson, because this is the 3rd week in a row he's answered a question about him. I added a bonus Q&A about Super Two status, since he used a NL Central player as an example. (Bonus points if you can guess who without scrolling down.)

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -8519.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Any thoughts on if Carlson is going to get a call soon with Lane Thomas getting shut down with Covid? Predictions on his line this year and potential player comp long term?

Steve Adams
I have a hard time believing Carlson wouldn't be up already by now were it not for the team's schedule getting blown up by their Covid outbreak. Thomas and Dean testing positive only gives him more of a chance at the MLB level, but I don't think anyone realistically knows when the Cardinals will be back on the field right now. I would think Carlson plays in the majority of whatever they're able to play from here on out.
What Pirates players are interesting to target this year for contending teams? Really only see Frazier on the infield and then maybe Stratton and Kela out for relievers.

Steve Adams
There's 50 games left, so sure anything *can* happen -- but I'm expecting their lack of bullpen depth to really haunt them eventually.

The 8-2 start is in the books, though. If you assume even a .500 record gets to the playoffs, they need to go 22-28 to make that happen. They're in good shape.
The Pirates seem horrific. Any rumors about an ownership change? We Pittsburghers need some sliver of hope to cling to.

Steve Adams
I doubt Stratton generates all that much interest. His pre-2020 track record is pretty dismal, and while he's throwing a bit harder this year and upping his slider usage, nine innings isn't a ton to go off. Then again, like four relief appearances from Drew Pomeranz last year was enough for the Brewers to give up Dubon, so it's possible.

Musgrove is still the Pirates' best chip, even after the Twins clobbered him last time out. Two and a half years of a solid mid-rotation arm has value.
So, how many games the Cardinals will actually play this season?

Steve Adams
I don't think even the Cardinals themselves or Rob Manfred know the answer to that. My guess at this point is fewer than 60 though.

(He then turned it into a poll:)

How many games will the Cardinals play in 2020?

All 60 of them (4% | 14 votes)

55 to 59 (11.8% | 41 votes)

45 to 54 (50.9% | 177 votes)

30 to 44 (19.3% | 67 votes)

5 to 29 (7.2% | 25 votes)

They're done at 5. It's over. (6.9% | 24 votes)

Total Votes: 348
Which team will be a definite seller at the trade deadline?

Steve Adams
The Pirates looked terrible coming into the year and have played terribly.
Is there any word if Chris archer will pitch this year?

Steve Adams
He had TOS surgery weeks ago. It's been known that he's out for quite some time.
He won't pitch until 2021 and might be done with the Pirates entirely.
Doubt Bob Nutting is picking up an $11MM option on an injured pitcher.

Pirates just put Musgrove on the IL with triceps inflammation -- maybe pump the brakes on him being their best trade chip, ha.
What are the chances Craig Kimbrel loses his closer job completely?

Steve Adams
At this point he has.
What does Super Two status mean?

Steve Adams
It's the term used to designate the top 22 percent of players (in terms of total service time) with more than two but less than three years of service. Super Two players are eligible for arbitration four times instead of three.

Kris Bryant is a good example. The Cubs blatantly manipulated his service, keeping in Triple-A until the first day he'd have fallen shy of a full year of service as a rookie. So even though Bryant spent almost that entire year with the Cubs, he accrued 171 days of MLB service -- one day shy of a full year.

That essentially makes him controllable for seven years rather than six. But because he's at the top of the list of players with service time in his class, he was arb-eligible a year early, when he had two years, 171 days of MLB service.

*Most* players aren't eligible for arbitration until they get three years.

Tags: