Post by CardsofSTL »

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Brennaman Suspended

Post by CardsofSTL »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
August 19 20, 5:59 pm
Thom Brennaman dropped an f bomb on the air. Not the [expletive] bomb though...
Here it is; language warning

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

I don't see how he recovers from this.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

he definitely should be fired. i will grant him he didn't have time to write something out, truly collect his thoughts, etc... but...his apology was pathetic. his concerns are he's not sure if he'll be putting on the headset anymore and tries to use his faith as a "get out of jail free" card. i mean, what kind of atmosphere is it around the booth when the game hasn't even started? entitled prick.

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

He was probably just referring to somewhere in the Carolinas that makes a lot of cigarettes. You know, in a 19th-century sort of way.

[eyeroll]

Did anyone else immediately think of Jim Brockmire upon learning of this incident?

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

mikechamp wrote:
August 20 20, 8:19 am
He was probably just referring to somewhere in the Carolinas that makes a lot of cigarettes. You know, in a 19th-century sort of way.

[eyeroll]

Did anyone else immediately think of Jim Brockmire upon learning of this incident?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I heard Ron Santo once on a radio broadcast go off on the Cubs during a commercial break. Nothing homophobic or anything, but any sailor has work to do if they want to swear like he did.

In this day and age, I don't know how anybody could think that any conversation anywhere couldn't be picked up by somebody.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Leroy wrote:
August 20 20, 9:16 am
In this day and age, I don't know how anybody could think that any conversation anywhere couldn't be picked up by somebody.
Seriously. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I always wonder about comments like this. I think most of us have made jokes or have humor around things that don't align with our core beliefs. For example i'm fairly religious, but there's been several sacrilegious jokes that i've found wildly hilarious that would be really offensive to another person. i've participated in jokes about race that would be horribly inappropriate given a different audience. Most people I know have some overlap with offensive material and their personal sense of humor.

So when something like this happens i'm always curious is the person legitimately a bigot and this is part of his inner personality, or was this some attempt of humor he had with someone he has a rapport with that is funny to them in their inner circle, but doesn't align with his actual core feelings/beliefs?

Either way, he should know better than to do something unprofessional in a job with a live mic. I generally don't make a lot of offensive jokes/comments, but if it were to happen it wouldn't be in the workplace because I like my job.

I just know i'm not perfect and I wouldn't want the core of who I am to be judged on a few jokes i've made in poor taste or that are only funny around certain people, etc. So when I see someone like this get publicly skewered I wonder if it's an over reaction or a legitimate revealing of who the person is.

I think the perfect example of what i'm talking about is James Gunn's tweets that got him temporarily fired from Guardians of the Galaxy. They were some pretty rough jokes that were inappropriate to a large number of people and the internet as a whole was pretty divided on how he should be held responsible for that.

Famous Mortimer
All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

If it was a joke, I'd perhaps understand your point more. Nothing about what he said sounded like a joke.

It is absolutely nothing like James Gunn's tweets, though. Firstly, they passed by pretty much entirely without comment when they were made, and it took someone who personally disliked him going through his posting history to find something to attack him with. They're shown here - https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/1759 ... -cernovich - and over half of them are either retweets or jokes that you'd really have to struggle to be offended by. No punching down at an already marginalized group. And, they were obviously jokes, and Brennaman's comments were not.

Also, do you remember Cernovich accusing Gunn of being part of a paedophile conspiracy? Do you want to walk back that part of your comment, maybe?

I'm going to guess that if he felt confident enough with his situation (wearing a mic, lots of co-workers listening) to say something homophobic, then it's not the first time he's said something like that. And the fact his apology didn't say "I'm not a homophobe" but was more bothered about apologising to the people who pay his wages.

I don't see how there's any argument here. There are lots of people who are equally as good (or better) at calling baseball games, who also aren't homophobes. He's not entitled to his job. I want baseball to be a friendly and welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ folks.
Last edited by Famous Mortimer on August 20 20, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.