Brennaman Suspended

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Brennaman Suspended

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I was thinking of that scene in the Jackie Robinson movie where the Philadelphia (I think) manager goes on a viciously racist, slur-filled rant against Jackie. Where does the actor practice that?

Anyway Thom is at best simply an incredibly stupid idiot, but what I think is more likely (something about the tone) also a hateful prick.

Should unquestionably be fired.

Tags:

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

It brings back memories. When him and Steve Stone were ever on at the same time it was certainly in the top ten reasons I can think of for wanting to jump out in front of a truck.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

things are going well

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
August 20 20, 11:16 am
things are going well
Just wait until Curt learns Thom was talking about Curt's house. Then his tune will change.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

If you utter that word casually at work when you have a microphone on - I think that word is not foreign to your vocabulary.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
August 20 20, 10:21 am
If it was a joke, I'd perhaps understand your point more. Nothing about what he said sounded like a joke.

It is absolutely nothing like James Gunn's tweets, though. Firstly, they passed by pretty much entirely without comment when they were made, and it took someone who personally disliked him going through his posting history to find something to attack him with. They're shown here - https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/20/1759 ... -cernovich - and over half of them are either retweets or jokes that you'd really have to struggle to be offended by. No punching down at an already marginalized group. And, they were obviously jokes, and Brennaman's comments were not.

Also, do you remember Cernovich accusing Gunn of being part of a paedophile conspiracy? Do you want to walk back that part of your comment, maybe?

I'm going to guess that if he felt confident enough with his situation (wearing a mic, lots of co-workers listening) to say something homophobic, then it's not the first time he's said something like that. And the fact his apology didn't say "I'm not a homophobe" but was more bothered about apologising to the people who pay his wages.

I don't see how there's any argument here. There are lots of people who are equally as good (or better) at calling baseball games, who also aren't homophobes. He's not entitled to his job. I want baseball to be a friendly and welcoming environment for LGBTQ+ folks.
It's been a while since I read Gunn's tweets, but I recall a few were cringy. But you have a valid point. Out of context his comment is worse than some dark humor jokes. I also don't know anyone who has used that slur since middle school.

That said, i'm not really sure what you want me to walk back. I don't think Gunn should have been fired, and I have no idea who Cernovich is outside of reading his name on the link text you just posted.

booger71
All-Star

Post by booger71 »

I guess its a good thing most work places don't have hot mikes

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinio ... 401957001/

About as well-crafted as possible, I think.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
August 20 20, 5:53 pm
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/opinio ... 401957001/

About as well-crafted as possible, I think.
I used a word that is both offensive and insulting. In the past 24 hours, I have read about its history; I had no idea it was so rooted in hate and violence and am particularly ashamed that I, someone who makes his living by the use of words, could be so careless and insensitive. It’s a word that should have no place in my vocabulary and I will certainly never utter it again.
He's 56 years old.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

booger71 wrote:
August 20 20, 5:51 pm
I guess its a good thing most work places don't have hot mikes
I can say, unequivocally, that I have never said that word at work.