Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on August 25. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Overall, there was a lot of trade chatter this week, as the trade deadline approaches on August 31. No bonus Q&As, but a lot of divisional content today.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with- ... -8632.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Reds bats aren't really this bad are they? Is there any hope for them?

Steve Adams
They shouldn't be, no. Moose, Votto, Suarez and Shogo struggling to this extent is pretty remarkable. Most of those guys have BABIPs in the .200 range, so there's some hope, sure, but they've put themselves in a hole -- and none of those guys are someone you're just going to acquire an upgrade over and move on from.
Brewers at 12-15 in a weak division: buy, sell or stand pat?

Steve Adams
The Brewers never really go one direction under Stearns; they'll sell off some big league assets while adding others. Most clubs will operate in this capacity. I say this every summer, but baseball fans as a whole shouldn't look at teams as strict "buyers" or "sellers," with a few notable exceptions in any given year.
Concerning any trade possibilities for Trevor Bauer, surely nobody will offer anything valued higher than potential compensation picks. Thoughts?

Steve Adams
I think a combination of that and the NL Central (or NL in general) being pretty weak will keep him in Cincinnati. They're not far out of a playoff spot, and if you get a Sonny Gray/Trevor Bauer/Luis Castillo-led rotation into a playoff setting, you have to feel good against any team.
Do you think Josh Bell gets traded at the deadline?

Steve Adams
I don't see how anyone's going to give up anything for him right now, He's been terrible since last summer, and the Pirates won't want to sell low.
Will the Pirates be able to trade Joe Musgrove and/or K.Kela seeing both are dealing with minor injuries right now?

Steve Adams
Doubt Musgrove goes if he's still on the IL. I think so long as Kela isn't on the injured list, and an acquiring team agrees he doesn't need to head there based on his current medicals, he'll be moved.
Does Theo get a couple relievers and/or a bat?

Steve Adams
I think the Cubs will be on inexpensive relievers. Orioles guys would make sense. Magill in Seattle. BUCK FARMER in Detroit. (It's hard not to type that name in all caps)
With Trevor Williams and Chad Kuhl names being floated around today, what level of prospects should Pirate fans expect in return for young, controllable pitchers?

Steve Adams
Williams is a 4/5 starter and Kuhl is about the same, but with a larger injury history and more limited MLB track record. I don't think the returns would be negligible or anything, but I'm also skeptical that the Jays or anyone else are going to give up their best prospects to get one of them. I've had someone ask about Alek Manoah for Williams or Kuhl multiple times, and I can't see the Jays making that move, for instance.

A guy who's already struggled in the Majors but still has some upside -- Sean Reid-Foley? -- and a lower-end prospect? That'd be more in line with what I expect.
Would Hoerner, Amaya, Steele, and Roederer get the Cubs Merrifield and Rosenthal?

Steve Adams
Cubs fans have been putting together fantasy packages for Merrifield for like two years, but the Royals aren't moving him.
Which starters do you think are likely to be dealt before the deadline?

Steve Adams
Bundy, Gausman, Walker are the three likeliest for me. Lynn is certainly possible, but I can see Texas holding more than I can see the others. Trevor Williams, I guess.
Does Adam Frazier get traded?? I haven’t heard much about him lately and it seems to me, a player w/ his position flexibility, cheap, controllable contract & track record would be attractive to a lot of teams? A left-handed bat too.

Steve Adams
He's playing so poorly that there's no point in the Pirates selling this low on him, in my view.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Steve Adams's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

Would Hoerner, Amaya, Steele, and Roederer get the Cubs Merrifield and Rosenthal?

This question interests me not for the package or for Merrifield; but Rosenthal. He is on a minor league invite so dirt cheap but with the way he is pitching; could net a pretty significant return. I don't see the Cardinals making a deal for him but it would be interesting to see what kind of deal it would take to get him.