CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 8/27 DH GDT: Pirates vs Cardinals 2:15 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The Cardinals reached the one-third point (20 games) of the baseball season Wednesday, easily the last team to do so. But, no matter how many games have been played, the staff’s holding opposition hitters to a major-league-low .180 average before Wednesday merited attention.

A byproduct of the Cardinals having two-thirds of their season ahead of them is that Shildt said he hadn’t even thought about the trading deadline, which is Monday.

“Not one time,” said Shildt who discussed Wednesday with president of baseball operations John Mozeliak how odd the trade deadline timing was for the Cardinals.

“We feel good about what we have,” said Shildt. “And, as always, what we have is plenty good enough.

Not only have the Cardinals played far fewer games than anyone else in this coronavirus-infected season, they have yet to experience at Busch Stadium a couple of rules nuances of 2020.

On Thursday, the Cardinals will play their first home scheduled doubleheader of seven innings apiece when Pittsburgh will take a one-day trip here to make up a couple of games that were postponed earlier this month.

The Cardinals have warmed up for this by playing three doubleheaders of seven innings apiece recently in Chicago.

But what they haven’t experienced anywhere this season is the new extra-inning rule in which every team gets to have a runner at second base with nobody out in any extra inning, as long as the game lasts.

Only the Cardinals, Arizona and the New York Yankees are among the 30 major league teams have failed to play an extra-inning game.
Lefthander Kwang Hyun Kim, who will pitch the first game for the Cardinals, said that pitching coach Mike Maddux told him he would have a 100-pitch limit “so I’ll try to be efficient,” Kim said. “Pitching a lot of innings so that I can give some rest to the bullpen guys.”

And not only the other pitchers.

“I’m sure some position players will have to play both games, so I know it will be tough for them,” Kim said through his translator. “When I pitched the last time against Cincinnati, I was trying to pitch as fast as possible so the position players could finish the game as soon as possible.”

Kim blanked the Reds on three hits for six innings as he scored his first big-league victory and he said his wife and two small children were able to watch the game in Korea because it was on television at 7 a.m. on Sunday morning.

He didn’t expect them to be able to watch the 4 a.m. start of the game on Thursday. “When they wake up,” said Kim, “I want them to see that I was really good in tomorrow’s game.”

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Get em KK

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Not impossible that these games don't happen.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

A day game on my day off. [expletive] yeah.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

2 games on your day off

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

heyzeus wrote:
August 27 20, 9:28 am
Not impossible that these games don't happen.
there's no rain in the forecast? and we won't (can't) cancel any games due to protesting...we can't make the COVID ones all up as it is