CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: 9/10 DH GDT: Tigers vs Cardinals 1:15 PM CT

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Cardinals haven't faced Screwball or Skubal or whatever his name is.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The busy St. Louis Cardinals will play their third doubleheader in six days when they host the Detroit Tigers on Thursday.

The Cardinals (18-17) have remained in the NL playoff chase despite having to play catchup in scheduling after their COVID-19 outbreak. The Tigers (19-22) have also stayed in the AL race, which is surprising success for a team that lost 114 games last season.

"There's no cashing in in September right now," Tigers pitcher Spencer Turnbull said earlier this week. "We're all hungry. We can smell the blood in the water. We want to play in October. We've been dreaming about that for a while. Especially here in Detroit. ... I think we're all excited."

The Cardinals will start Jack Flaherty (2-1, 2.95 ERA) and Austin Gomber (0-0, 0.64 ERA) in the seven-inning games at Busch Stadium.

Flaherty last just 2 2/3 innings in his last start, a 4-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Friday. In his four starts since the team's COVID-19 shutdown, he has failed to work more than five innings in a game.

"I just wasn't very good," Flaherty said after Friday's game. "I didn't execute very well. Didn't execute my slider, didn't execute my fastball, didn't execute my curveball. Didn't really execute at all. That's pretty much the way it goes when you don't execute, and they're able to fight off the pitches you do execute."

Gomber worked out of the bullpen this season before making a doubleheader start against the Cubs. He threw a scoreless 2 2/3 innings and struck out five batters in a 5-1 victory.

The Tigers will start rookie Tarik Skubal (1-1, 4.70 ERA) and Jordan Zimmermann (0-0, 0.00 ERA). Skubal held the Twins to one run on two hits and two walks in six innings in his last start, a 4-1 loss in which he took a no-decision.

Skubal was a ninth-round pick in the 2018 draft out of Seattle University. He has struck out 14 batters in 15 1/3 innings.

"He's starting to settle in," bench coach Lloyd McClendon said after that game. "I think the goosebumps are gone and the sweaty palms are gone. He's starting to believe that he belongs, and that's important. You see it in the tempo. You can see it in his mannerisms. He's throwing the ball a lot better."

Zimmermann will make his first start since returning from the injured list. He suffered a forearm strain late in the summer camp.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I expect quality starts from both our guys.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Cardinals activated OF Austin Dean from the COVID-19 injured list.
Dean got caught up in the Cardinals' COVID-19 outbreak last month, but he is recovered now and will be available for Thursday's doubleheader against the Tigers. The 26-year-old outfielder has posted a career .223/.268/.388 batting line with 10 home runs and one stolen base in 98 games at the major league level.
Sep 10, 2020, 10:55 AM ET

Cardinals placed RHP Johan Oviedo on the 10-day injured list.
There is no injury listed alongside the transaction, so it may be related in some way to COVID-19. Oviedo started Monday against the Cubs and was scheduled to take the mound this Sunday versus the Reds.
Sep 10, 2020, 10:53 AM ET

Cardinals recalled RHP Nabil Crismatt from their alternate training site.
Crismatt will be the 29th man for the Cardinals in Thursday's doubleheader versus the Tigers. The 25-year-old has tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings of relief over two appearances this season with St. Louis.
Sep 10, 2020, 10:50 AM ET

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm just happy to see Nabil Crismatt back where he belongs, in St. Louis.

It's also nice to see AAAA filler material Austin Dean taking the place of Dylan Carlson. Superb.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The Cardinals are playing an actual regular season baseball game right now. What have we become, GRB?