Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on September 13. A lot of Cubs content, so I included more bonus Q&As than normal. It was a lot of "greatest evar" discussion.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-8779.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Alec Mills - most unlikely no-hitter of all time?

Mark Polishuk
Not even close. There have been some truly random and inexplicable names on the no-hitter roll call, which is what makes no-hitters so fun.
Alec Mills is the least likely no-no pitcher since...?

Mark Polishuk
Hmm, Edison Volquez?

If we're counting combined no-nos, the Angels and Astros just last season came out of nowhere.
Anthony Rizzo is really struggling this year, although his K and BB rates are in line with his career averages. Do you think he's starting to decline or just getting unlucky in a small sample?

Mark Polishuk
His hard-hit rate is down considerably, though his xwOBA is a lot higher than wOBA and his BABIP is only .202. I'd tend to lean towards unlucky more than a decline, with the caveat that some guys can drop off quickly once they hit their early 30's.
How much of a chance do you give the Cubs in the postseason?

Mark Polishuk
In a year when Alec Mills is tossing no-hitters, who knows? The Cubs don't seem to have the depth of other contenders, but in the random sample size of the postseason, a couple of players getting hot might be all Chicago needs.
Think Wainwright gets HOF consideration?

Mark Polishuk
He'll definitely get on the ballot and collect a respectable amount of votes, but I don't think he'll get elected. An outstanding career, but not a HOF career.
Would Wainwright be a hall of farmer if he played his entire career with the Yankees?

Mark Polishuk
Probably not, considering Andy Pettitte was even better than Wainwright and didn't make it. (Granted, Pettitte had the PED suspension hanging over him.)
Who wants Trevor Bauer the most in 2021?

Mark Polishuk
You know, speaking of the Braves' penchant for one-year deals, Bauer makes a lot of sense in the ATL.
Who was the best baseball player named Mark? McGwire?

Mark Polishuk
Shoutout to Mookie Betts, whose real name is Markus.
What current pitchers have the best chance to get in the HOF?

Mark Polishuk
Verlander, Scherzer, Kershaw, probably Greinke, maybe Chris Sale if he makes a good recovery from TJ surgery, deGrom seems like a good bet at this point.
I feel like I'm missing someone obvious,but those are the six who came to mind immediately.
Just got tied by Pujols for 660 home runs and no mention of it yet. I know Pujols is a bad player but still quite the accomplishment

Mark Polishuk
I think it's gotten to the point that Pujols is now even a bit underrated since his Cardinals prime is so long ago. Pujols is one of the greats, no doubt.
Top 10 ever? Who else you got in top 10...

Mark Polishuk
Ruth, Mays, Bonds, Aaron, Musial, Cobb, Wagner, Ted Williams, and, realistically, Josh Gibson and Oscar Charleston.
While we are at it, GOAT arms? 1) Satch.

Mark Polishuk
Good call.
I'd go Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson, Paige, Maddux, Feller, Grove, Clemens, Mathewson, and Bob Gibson

Tags: