Cardinals Legend Bob Gibson passes away

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: Cardinals Legend Bob Gibson passes away

Post by haltz »

I never saw him play but was lucky to get to know him a little working in the restaurant industry. He would come in with a regular of mine when he was in town and was nice enough to remember me, say hi and chat a bit.

The rest of the bar would lean forward and quietly freak out and ask me and each other if it was really him in a way that was totally different than it was with other famous athletes.

The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

heyzeus wrote:
October 3 20, 5:41 am
Yall, please read this article.

https://theathletic.com/1578309/2020/02 ... ob-gibson/
Thanks for the link. Great reading for my favorite pitcher ever. My Mom saw on MLB Channel Saturday AM that he passed away. She said her first thought was that "my son is heartbroken." She loved to watch him pitch, saying he looked like he was falling out of a tree on his follow through.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Remembering the Intense and Indomitable Bob Gibson (1935-2020)
by Jay Jaffe
October 7, 2020
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/remembering ... 1935-2020/

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I feel like Gibson's death has not gotten quite as much attention as Brock's did, possibly due to the playoffs, and possibly due to Brock's ties to the Cubs. But I've also been insanely busy this week so maybe I'm wrong. It just sucks. My dad and his brother were high schoolers in the 60s. My uncle was the athlete and got to play high school ball at Sportsman's Park a few times. My dad was at opening day when Busch II opened and still has the ticket framed on his wall. So I've heard tons of stories. My dad's love of that era of Cardinals baseball is why I became a fan. Really wish I could've seen him pitch.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I think part of the reason it seems like there is not as much attention is that it happened right after the season ended; where as with Brock they were able to do moments of silence on the field and Fox did a lot of tribute things during and before games. I would expect they honor Gibson prominently during the season opener 2021.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

posting for the gibson stuff but andrew miller also joins the podcast
FanGraphs Audio: Andrew Miller and the Guest Episode
by Dylan Higgins
October 9, 2020
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/fangraphs-a ... t-episode/
At the top of the show, Jay Jaffe remembers the late Bob Gibson. The Cardinals legend passed away earlier this month, prompting Jay to take a close look at his illustrious legacy. [1:45]

Next, David Laurila is joined by Cardinals left-hander Andrew Miller. The pair discuss what this unique season was like for players, the three true outcomes, and Miller’s own eventful career. [8:00]

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

haltz wrote:
October 4 20, 8:42 am
I never saw him play but was lucky to get to know him a little working in the restaurant industry. He would come in with a regular of mine when he was in town and was nice enough to remember me, say hi and chat a bit.

The rest of the bar would lean forward and quietly freak out and ask me and each other if it was really him in a way that was totally different than it was with other famous athletes.

The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it.
Man, I'm [expletive] jealous and I got to serve Bill and Brian Doyle Murray together.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

When I was a kid, Dad would come home from work and say, 'Gibson's pitching, let's go!'

Dollar bleacher seats, kids who were carried in for free, my sisters running to get bleacher dollar tickets while Dad parked.

Mom got the night off and we were home by bedtime.