Re: Cardinals Offseason Questions

Post by cardstatman »

PA_Hiker wrote:
October 12 20, 4:59 pm
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
October 12 20, 11:56 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
October 8 20, 1:23 pm
After 2021, are the Cardinals out from under the Fowler and Carpenter contracts?
Perhaps this has been discussed. But did players get any consideration for the shortened season wrt to conditional years? Carpenter had one for ABs or games for 22.
Very likely they will prorate this season's plate appearances to a full season. Carpenter will need 628 plate appearances next year for his option to automatically vest in 2022.
I believe Carpenter's 169 PA will prorate to 456 PA. It that is true, he needs 644 more PA in 2021 to trigger his option.

I think they prorate based on 60 games played in the MLB season. If they used 58 (as you did), it would get really confusing for traded players!

However, I am just guessing.

cardstatman
AAA Minor League Player

Post by cardstatman »

I'm guessing they bring back Yadi and Waino so they can get a proper "goodbye" with fans in the stands.

Yadi may not agree to much of a pay cut and there may be some public bickering which won't look pretty. $14M
Waino earned a raise from 2020; $8M guaranteed +$1M each for 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 games started. $14M max

I'm guessing they pick up Wong's option for an additional $11.5M ($12.5M - $1M buyout)
They have no choice on AMiller. His option vested for an additional $9.5M already ($12M - $2.5M buyout)

Oops we just spent $49M!

Gant, Flaherty, Brebbia, Reyes, Bader, and Hicks are all going to arbitration for the 1st time.
Brebbia may be non-tendered if he projects to miss the first half of 2021 anyway due to TJ surgery in June 2020.
Estimated raises: $10M total. Now we are up to $59M spent to keep the gang together!

There is not much money left! Better start getting frugal!

I'm guessing Wieters is done. Time to let Knizner sink or swim and Rodriguez and Herrera are not far away.
I'm guessing BMiller is done. His defense negated most of his offense and history doesn't support his bat staying good.

The Cards need to cut several guys just to get back to 40 on the roster and they have a few guys who need Rule 5 protection.
Ivan Herrera for sure. Angel Rondon? others?

Ravelo, Nogowski, Dean, Schrock are likely victims of the 40-man numbers game. But that is not enough.
They need to trade away some middle relievers if possible. (Gant, Brebbia, Webb, Ponce De Leon, CMart)
They may deal guys like O'Neill, Thomas just to clear space for someone else.

Wait! We still have no corner outfielders who can actually hit!
If we have any money left, maybe we can sign Joc Pederson or someone like that for not too much money.
If not, maybe we can trade Wong and a couple of middle relievers for one!

I don't expect a lot of change in 2021... but in 2022 I expect a complete changing of the guard.

DeadMoney
Veteran Player

Post by DeadMoney »

I expect the Cardinals to bring Wainwright & Yadi back. Hopefully Yadi will sign for a lot less than $20 mil per. Only major move I can see happening is Carlos being traded. If they do move Carlos hopefully it will bring the lineup some thump.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

DeadMoney wrote:
October 13 20, 12:12 pm
I expect the Cardinals to bring Wainwright & Yadi back. Hopefully Yadi will sign for a lot less than $20 mil per. Only major move I can see happening is Carlos being traded. If they do move Carlos hopefully it will bring the lineup some thump.
If I remember this rightly, a player can't be offered less than X% of their current AAV for an extension (I think it's 70%, but I'm not sure), so if the Cardinals want to give him a reduced contract for another couple of years, they're going to have to let him become a free agent first.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
October 14 20, 7:50 am
DeadMoney wrote:
If I remember this rightly, a player can't be offered less than X% of their current AAV for an extension (I think it's 70%, but I'm not sure), so if the Cardinals want to give him a reduced contract for another couple of years, they're going to have to let him become a free agent first.
He is a free agent.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This FAQ has a lot of good info:

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/card ... season-faq

One of the highlights to me was this:
Who is arbitration-eligible this year?
The Cardinals have a young core that is arbitration-eligible -- meaning they are between three and six years of Major League service time -- for the first time this year, headlined by right-hander Jack Flaherty...

Right-handers Alex Reyes, Jordan Hicks and John Brebbia, as well as outfielder Harrison Bader, join Flaherty as first-year arbitration-eligible players. Hicks opted out of playing in 2020 due to pre-existing health concerns, but he still earned a full year of service time. So did Brebbia, who did not pitch in '20 after undergoing Tommy John surgery in June.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 14 20, 11:43 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
He is a free agent.
No he isn't. Free agency hasn't started yet.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020 ... -and-more/

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
October 15 20, 8:06 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
October 14 20, 11:43 am
Famous Mortimer wrote:
DeadMoney wrote:
He is a free agent.
No he isn't. Free agency hasn't started yet.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020 ... -and-more/
Quit picking nits

HardcoreCardsFan
All-Star

Post by HardcoreCardsFan »

Kolten Wong just made an ominous Instagram post.
[SHOW]

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Hmmmm. That Wong post is interesting

Update:

Jeff Jones
@jmjones
·
4m
Kolten Wong tells me he was saying thanks for both the birthday wishes as well as the fan support for the #stlcards this season. Not related to any contractual stuff. False alarm.