Yadi's a free agent

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Yadi's a free agent

Post by Popeye_Card »

Sure, if we win it doesn’t matter. My concern is that Yadi would lead to less wins.

It is one thing to have a disgruntled player in the clubhouse. It would be really tough to have a guy of Yadi’s stature and involvement with the pitching staff to have an open feud with the manager and front office.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I'm a little split on bringing back Yadi. I want him to finish his career as a Cardinal but I don't want sentimentality to be prioritized over winning. But then if the guy we have replace him isn't someone like JT Realmuto then you ought as well just bring back Yadi at that point.

MinorLeagueGuy
Hall Of Famer

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I dont expect REAL Baseball games to be played for at least the foreseeable future; that might not even be in 2021, or 2022. So signing a guy to a sweetheart/retirement deal for a length of time where the FO might not even want to reinvest in winning strategies anyway, is kind of arbitrary. Ownership has no idea when they'll be able to fleece fans for the price of a ticket, or an adult beverage, so they've tightened up the purse-strings. Any active investment into making the team better via spending ONLY MONEY has been put on hold indefinitely. So why not give a core guy the deal he wants? Who cares about the "development" of young catchers, when we're years away from normalcy? The Exhibition Season of 2020 shouldnt even count towards real statistics. Professional Sports as we knew them died this year. And Leagues across the spectrum flailed, and failed, to keep fans' interest; whether politically, or just in general. What " Professional Sports" turns into, or has already become, is a backburner issue for many. Wanted to escape reality for a little while rooting on your favorite team? What does that even mean anymore...

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 28 20, 2:25 am
Sure, if we win it doesn’t matter. My concern is that Yadi would lead to less wins.

It is one thing to have a disgruntled player in the clubhouse. It would be really tough to have a guy of Yadi’s stature and involvement with the pitching staff to have an open feud with the manager and front office.
I was being facetious; but I think if Yadi signs he plays so I doubt there will be any feuding. Now that could still lead to less wins if his decline broadens. He's not the reason the Cardinals are mediocre right now even if he is not the Yadi of six years ago. There should be better options than Molina batting 5th or 6th. That's up to Mo to work out.

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

I just say sign him. I think the franchise and fanbase will ultimately regret it if they don't. We are talking legacy at this point. I don't think this team is built to win a World Series in 2021 or 2022. Ownership has also proven that they won't necessarily go out and spend the money on someone else if they don't sign Molina. The Cardinals have an opportunity to keep a hall of fame player on the roster for his entire career. Pay him for what he's done with the understanding that he will have a reduced role in 2022 assuming everything else pans out at the catcher position. I've seen all the arguments that other player would make this team better at catcher right now, but it's somewhat of a moot point if the rest of the team around the catcher position isn't good enough to make a deep run in October. I think all involved will regret this decision once they see Molina suit up in another uniform. Show him the mock up of the statue he'll get. Waive any waiting period into the Cardinals hall of fame and pay him close to what he's looking for.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Yadier Molina told Polo Ascencio of La Vida Baseball that he may consider retirement if he doesn't receive the right offer.

“If God wants me to come back, then I'll come back," said Molina. "And if not I will retire happy with my head held high." There's been a bit of a staring match between the Cardinals and the 38-year-old future Hall of Fame catcher, who set out this winter looking for a two-year deal. He reportedly balked at a "ridiculous" proposal made by the club back in either late November or early December. Molina, who's spent his entire pro career with the Cardinals, slashed .262/.303/.359 with four home runs and 16 RBI over 42 games in 2020.
Source: Polo Ascencio on Twitter
Jan 14, 2021, 11:09 AM ET

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

God obviously wants at least two years at >$15MM AAV, and starting at least 135 games. Pretty sure that's in Leviticus.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

Popeye_Card wrote:
January 14 21, 12:00 pm
God obviously wants at least two years at >$15MM AAV, and starting at least 135 games. Pretty sure that's in Leviticus.
I would have figured it was in Numbers.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

obucard wrote:
January 14 21, 12:54 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
January 14 21, 12:00 pm
I would have figured it was in Numbers.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Yadi will play. He's too competitive and too in love for the game to retire over not getting the right offer.

I wish fans had a window into negotiations.