Payroll Limbo: How Low Can the Cardinals Go?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Payroll Limbo: How Low Can the Cardinals Go?

Post by heyzeus »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
November 4 20, 5:54 pm
Here is where some owner should defy the brotherhood this offseason. Offer us a half-prospect and a quarter-prospect for Goldschmidt. Or a half-hearted high five for Goldschmidt if they take Matt Carpenter too.
This really makes me think, and worry.

How many teams will really be spending this year?

The Dodgers, because they can.
The Yankees, because they can.
The Red Sox, because they spent 2020 tanking/cost slashing specifically to get under the luxury cap so that they can spend in 2021.

That might be it! Talk about being a kid in a candy store. Why wouldn't one of those teams make crazy lowball offers on costly but still highly productive players on smaller market, cost-cutting teams? Goldschmidt is a good example, but how about guys like Rendon, Yelich, Arenado, Harper? Or second-tier but still very good guys, esp. arb-eligible ones whose price will go up. Starlin Marte types. Why wouldn't the Yankees swoop in and say "here's a prospect, we'll take on all of your guy's salary." Or has BottenField suggests, go ahead and package a Matt Carpenter type of dead-weight contract in, but give us Goldy.

The lack of a salary cap or floor is gonna make next year particularly awful for fans of smaller market teams.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
November 5 20, 5:11 am
*SHUDDERS*

Kip Flarging Wells

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

heyzeus wrote:
November 5 20, 10:21 am
Here is where some owner should defy the brotherhood this offseason. Offer us a half-prospect and a quarter-prospect for Goldschmidt. Or a half-hearted high five for Goldschmidt if they take Matt Carpenter too.

The Red Sox, because they spent 2020 tanking/cost slashing specifically to get under the luxury cap so that they can spend in 2021.

That might be it! Talk about being a kid in a candy store. Why wouldn't one of those teams make crazy lowball offers on costly but still highly productive players on smaller market, cost-cutting teams? Goldschmidt is a good example, but how about guys like Rendon, Yelich, Arenado, Harper? Or second-tier but still very good guys, esp. arb-eligible ones whose price will go up. Starlin Marte types. Why wouldn't the Yankees swoop in and say "here's a prospect, we'll take on all of your guy's salary." Or has BottenField suggests, go ahead and package a Matt Carpenter type of dead-weight contract in, but give us Goldy.

The lack of a salary cap or floor is gonna make next year particularly awful for fans of smaller market teams.
I feel like the Mets are tired of playing 2nd fiddle, again, in NY. The Gucci wallets are out of the designer suits, and ready to make it rain.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

We are rapidly approaching, if not already there, where the market inefficiency is “trying.”

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
November 5 20, 10:34 am
heyzeus wrote:
November 5 20, 10:21 am

I feel like the Mets are tired of playing 2nd fiddle, again, in NY. The Gucci wallets are out of the designer suits, and ready to make it rain.
They sure are. One doesn't spend $2.5 billion in the middle of a pandemic to pinch pennies.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Here's a companion piece that I wrote for Viva El Birdos. Most of the info in the article is already here, but I reorganize some of it into a priority list for the Cardinals.
Basically, I think that Brebbia and Gant are likely to be cut. I also lean toward the Cards trading Martinez for a variety of reasons. Maybe 50/50 on that last one. They want to trade Fowler but I don't think they have any chance of doing that.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Right, so in the current environment, one of the 3-4 teams willing to spend could pick up CMart for a non-prospect if they simply agree to take on his contract. The 2021 season is gonna be putrid.

PA_Hiker
Everyday Player

Post by PA_Hiker »

I don't see Gant getting cut, mostly because his salary isn't going to go up that much. Brebbia certainly should be getting his resume ready, just in case. Carlos will probably be traded and win 15 games with a 3.20 ERA in New York next year while our rotation sports an ERA a run higher and Mo will have to spend free agent money on a Leake-type starter next off-season.

It's the Cardinal way.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I'm kind of excited about a chance to see young players and a fresh start.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Guest: Will the Cardinals even pony up the money to re-sign Yadi & Waino, or are they gonna cry poverty to the point the long-time duo will be forced to leave?

Craig Edwards: I imagine both will be back with the Cardinals when all is said and done. They are both still solid players, even at their ages, and they are probably willing to take less to stay in St. Louis. I know the Cardinals want to cut payroll, but not bringing back those two makes little sense.