Fox Sports Midwest to be Re-Named

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Fox Sports Midwest to be Re-Named

Post by Fat Strat »

Best case scenario here is they have two versions of the broadcast. The normal broadcast pretty much as it is with some extra betting ads and spots and then a full on gambling interface on the plus channel.

Worst case is that the games are just one big betting interface, where the channel looks like some financial news channel with the game secondary to all the betting lines, props, fantasy stats, etc.

I expect about halfway in between. Might not matter because just about every non-cable outlet has dropped FSMW and the other regional Sinclair stations.
Last edited by Fat Strat on November 21 20, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If they do separate broadcasts that's fine. But I doubt they would.

I wonder how it works affect mlbtv broadcasts if at all. Probably the same betting overlays.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I just want to be able to watch Cardinals game on a daily basis and I really don't care what they name the network they air on since Cardinals and Blues games are the only thing I watch on there anyways. It's like when people got all upset about the Nike baseball jerseys. It's like you're seriously getting upset about a small logo in the corner of the jersey, you guys have too much time on your hands. I would like to be able to continue watching Cardinals games next year on youtubeTV but I guess I'm going to have to find a different way to watch next season.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Every time I see a reference to Bally, I just think of a pair of truck nuts dangling from the back of a pickup truck.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Nope. I won’t watch.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

JoeMcKim wrote:
November 21 20, 5:08 pm
I just want to be able to watch Cardinals game on a daily basis and I really don't care what they name the network they air on since Cardinals and Blues games are the only thing I watch on there anyways. It's like when people got all upset about the Nike baseball jerseys. It's like you're seriously getting upset about a small logo in the corner of the jersey, you guys have too much time on your hands. I would like to be able to continue watching Cardinals games next year on youtubeTV but I guess I'm going to have to find a different way to watch next season.
I didn't notice anyone being that upset about the Nike thing, but if you think this isn't the thin end of a very thick wedge, then I have some moon real estate to sell you.

If it's just the name of the network that's going to change, I won't care either. But it's not.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

But what is clear is that there will be much more than a name change, that gambling will be emphasized on the telecasts. And it won’t be just guys giving their picks on games. The plan is to have interactive betting on the TV screen or mobile devices on which the games are being seen, with Bally’s — through Sinclair — serving as the bookie.

“The overall vision is . . . to ‘gamify’ sports” and “to make watching sports like playing a video game,” Sinclair president and CEO Chris Ripley said on a conference call Thursday to discuss the moves. “We think this will dramatically increase the attractiveness of (watching), especially for a younger generation.”

He said that 60% of those ages 18-34 are interested in sports betting.
If it were just a name change and/or some advertising, yeah - not a big deal.

^^ This ^^ seems like a big deal. Getting "the younger generation" addicted to gambling on live sports seems like a really, really bad idea.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

The RSNs will be offering Direct to Consumer so a separate provider subscription will not be required. No word on pricing but this could be big for a lot of people. I haven’t watched hardly any games the last few years because of blackouts and the pricing of needing a plan and then the RSN bundle in addition just made it not worth it. Pricing and options may end up being garbage but I like the move to a la carte.

https://thestreamable.com/news/sinclair ... v-business

Still not a fan of the Bally's rebrand though.

NDark
Veteran Player

Post by NDark »

https://awfulannouncing.com/sinclair/si ... -rsns.html

Bally's rebrand update. Branding and some reshuffling in a few markets.

Can we just get the stand alone streaming done already?! Hopefully before baseball season.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Bally’s/Sinclair struggle with geography. Not only is Ohio all [expletive] up, they have no sense of SoCal geography either. Maybe they are confused by the LA Angels of Anaheim thing.