Do the Cardinals have a Plan? Not Yet.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Do the Cardinals have a Plan? Not Yet.

Post by Jocephus »

What do the cards do to bolster offense? Seems like a good time to bring in longer term bat to get their window started in earnest with Libatore and Gorman coming up soon

Ben Clemens
They're going to do almost nothing
Run back a very similar team in 2021 and hope that gets there
(that's my guess, at least)
I don't think that makes all that much sense, but the place I want them to improve is catcher, and if they somehow don't sign Yadi, it's not like they're going to go for an upgrade instead
Signing an outfielder just seems like a way to add to the uncertainty around the young talent they have, it's not like they're benching Fowler
John
NL Central looks like a race to cut salary. Which team looks like the odds on favorite or is there more cutting to come ?

Ben Clemens
I'm writing about the Central for tomorow, actually
I think the favorite is probably the Cubs, just because they have the most talent remaining, but I think the Reds have a good shot as well
Honestly all four non-Pirates teams have a decent shot
But yes, via all four subtracting rather than all four adding
Sam
why dont the cards try to trade for Lindor? the have the money and the farm, Dejong can play third. And they could have his ear to sign him to a contract when all that Carpenter/Fowler money is freed up next year

Ben Clemens
They could. I think it'd make some sense. He would presumably not cost too much given Cleveland's cash allergy
That said, they won't, I don't think. Mozeliak has just been harping on how much they want to cut payroll all offseason

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I am a bit more depressed than I was before I read that.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I don't think they should add any outfielders unless they are going to move some of the ones they currently have (which I would be okay with).

I think they should stop pulling on their pud and re-sign Molina

I think they should add more offense at third base if possible but not by giving too many years to someone like Justin Turner.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

Gypsy Lou
Everyday Player

Post by Gypsy Lou »

CardsofSTL wrote:
December 14 20, 2:35 pm
I don't think they should add any outfielders unless they are going to move some of the ones they currently have (which I would be okay with).

I think they should stop pulling on their pud and re-sign Molina

I think they should add more offense at third base if possible but not by giving too many years to someone like Justin Turner.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey.
Agree, they won't sign any outfielders.

They'll run out Marp at 3rd until the trade deadline, then DFA him and trade for a 3rd baseman?

2022 is the year it all comes together, young talent plus plenty of $ for FA's.

EPLS.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Carlos Martinez is set to make his first start in the Dominican Winter League on Friday.

It will be his first time pitching the league since 2014-2015, but it makes sense for him to do so after being limited to just 20 innings this past season due to COVID-19 and an oblique injury. Martinez recently came under criticism for violating social distancing protocols and the mandatory use of masks at a large public gathering in his hometown of Puerto Plata. He was expected to pay a fine as a result. Martinez will have to earn his role with the Cardinals next season.
Source: Anne Rogers on Twitter
Dec 14, 2020, 1:17 PM ET

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Marcus Semien is a free agent. He's "old" at age 30 but he could push DeJong to 3B and Marp to DH. With the way contracts are so cheap right now you could probably get him very reasonably for a player of his potential.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Jocephus wrote:
December 14 20, 1:42 pm
Sam
why dont the cards try to trade for Lindor? the have the money and the farm, Dejong can play third. And they could have his ear to sign him to a contract when all that Carpenter/Fowler money is freed up next year

Ben Clemens
They could. I think it'd make some sense. He would presumably not cost too much given Cleveland's cash allergy
That said, they won't, I don't think. Mozeliak has just been harping on how much they want to cut payroll all offseason

I think this is the year Mo gets visited by 3 ghosts on Christmas Eve

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Lindor would make a ton of sense. The type of player the Cardinals have liked to target in the past. One of if not the biggest trade partner during Mo's tenure. Durable. Consistent production. Slick fielder at a prime position. Highly marketable personality. Still getting a good number of productive years for a middle infielder before they inevitably tucker out by mid-30's.

One player through a fairly simple trade, and the Cardinals would instantly boost the excitement factor by a huge margin. The type of opportunity they've been saving that dry powder for.

But they probably won't do it.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

pioneer98 wrote:
December 16 20, 11:20 pm
Jocephus wrote:
December 14 20, 1:42 pm
Sam

Ben Clemens

I think this is the year Mo gets visited by 3 ghosts on Christmas Eve
While I agree with the sentiment; the ghosts need to go see Scrooge DeWitt and not his clerk.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

This has probably been asked and answered on here, but how does the pandemic-shortened season affect Marp's vesting 2022 option? (1100 PA's between 2020-2021)

I presume they prorated this by team games played, which by my math gives Marp 472 PA's in 2020. He would have to have a 627 PA per 162 game pace in 2021 to vest the option. That's a bit close for comfort if he stays healthy this year.