Cardinals and RHP John Gant avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Cardinals and RHP John Gant avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.

Post by Jocephus »

It's a nice raise on the $1.3 million Gant made in 2020. The right-hander made 20 appearances for St. Louis 2.40 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in 15 innings. He'll be one of the bridges to whomever closes for the Cards in 2021.
Dec 3, 2020, 6:17 PM ET

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Re: Cardinals and RHP John Gant avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I really wish they would give him a legit chance to start.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: Cardinals and RHP John Gant avoided arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $2.1 million contract.

Post by Fat Strat »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
December 4 20, 8:36 am
I really wish they would give him a legit chance to start.
I don't really see it. He would be behind Ponce, Reyes, Gomber, Cabrera, Oviedo, (in no particular order) and probably even with Helsley in terms of "likely to succeed as a starter". Then there is Rondon, Thompson and Liberatore coming soon. He just doesn't have the arm talent to justify experimenting with him in the rotation again with the depth they have. Remember, he had a half-season as a starter, was moderately successful there, but when the club needed starters in '19 and '20, they never turned back to him, despite having a wealth of right-handed relief options. There's a reason for that.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Gant doesn't really seem to have good second time through the order stuff; much less third time. Not that many starters do any more.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I hope Ponce isn't really a contender for the rotation. Please give Gomber that time.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Yeah, Id be in for Gomber as top guy expected to make the rotation. Reyes probably fits as Brebbia's replacement; he seemed to get better out of the pen as the year went on. Gant was considered not that long ago to make the rotation, and had the type of Spring to back it up. Until the team gave the spot to Waino(?). Gant has the arsenal, its just efficiency, and probably pitch selection that has kept him from getting through the order a couple-few times. But that isnt really modern baseball anyway. I wouldnt be surprised if in the near future what qualifies as a "quality start" gets adjusted from 6 innings to 5 innings..

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
December 4 20, 10:27 am
I hope Ponce isn't really a contender for the rotation. Please give Gomber that time.
Depends on what the Cardinals add, how they deal with Martinez, and health.

Right now, he's on the outside. My top 5 are: Flaherty, Mikolas, Kim, Martinez, Gomber. You can see just how much they need another starter and how quickly Ponce enters the equation. If Mikolas doesn't recover, Martinez can't cut it or they suffer another injury -- they do every year -- we're down not only to a Gomber vs Ponce situation, but to seeing a rotation with those two and possibly some combo of Reyes, Cabrera, Ovideo, or Rondon involved... basically, we're down to real trouble!

If the finances were better than they are, I think they would be talking about the need for a legitimate high-end starter. I think it's a mistake to bring AW back, personally. He adds consistent innings but no upside to what is a very sketchy rotation outside of Flaherty.

I'll keep saying it. The Cardinals are in desperate need for legitimate talent or they won't finish much above .500.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

There isn't much of a need to finish much above .500 anymore. I've lowered my expectations accordingly.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Ponce has a nicer ass than Gomber so he's got that going for him.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I expect Oviedo to get a real look this spring(?). Big body, few pitches to work with, no recent history with injury. I guess I could see Reyes and he flipping spots by the end of camp, or even by mid-season. I'd agree with some that Ponce has paid those dues and should be in line for that perma-promotion. But he still wears a bit of his emotions on the sleeve. Which isnt a negative for some guys who can stay within the strikezone a bunch. But Daniel has these games where he's just barely missing(UP), and might end up with a decent outing after 80 pitches through 4 innings. But those are high-leverage innings as he constantly falls behind in the count: add the DH, and there's no break for him once guys start laying off letter-high fastballs..