Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 5. He spread the love all around the division this time. I included a bonus Q&A about the DH in the NL, and the projected length of tenure for a former Cardinal manager.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9406.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Will the Pirates look to trade guys like Musgrove and Brault this week?

Mark Polishuk
Not necessarily this week unless the right offer comes along. It does help the Pirates that the free agent pitching market is moving somewhat quickly, so starter-needy teams will be increasingly likely to explore trades.
Will the Cubs make any sort of significant free agent move? Lester doesn’t count.

Mark Polishuk
It seems a little unlikely. Unless they free up more salary through trades, it seems like the Cubs are again hamstrung by salary restraints.
Are the Reds really trying to unload Sonny Gray, and if so why?

Mark Polishuk
Because Gray has an eight-figure salary and the Reds are trying to cut costs. I guarantee that Krall would prefer to explore just about any other payroll-trimming option than trading Gray, but his choices are somewhat limited.

It doesn't help that the Reds have invested a lot of money in players who were only okay in 2020.
2 questions, what percentage chance do you think the DH will be active in the NL? Do you see a Josh Hader trade happening?

Mark Polishuk
1. Probably about a 60% chance leaning towards yes. You'd think it would be higher due to general common sense (Ted and Robin salute) except getting the league and the players' union to agree even on seemingly simple matters is very difficult.

2. I lean about 60% in the no direction. I wonder if the Brewers might look to trade Hader as a way of reducing payroll, maybe by attaching him to a bigger contract like Cain.
2 years from now, who of the world series champion Cubs is still on the team?

Mark Polishuk
Heyward, since I don't think that contract is being moved.

The other interesting part of this exercise is noticing how few Cubs are actually still remaining from 2016. It's down to Rizzo, Hendricks, Bryant, Baez, Contreras and Heyward by my count.
How smart is it for the Cards to resign Yadi and Waino? Not that much of a WAR upgrade on the backups, and could potentially get a Sonny Gray instead.

Mark Polishuk
I'm pretty sure the Reds wouldn't deal Gray within the division. And I wouldn't say there's a lack of value with either, Wainwright is coming off a good season.
Is Jason Heyward the dumbest signing in MLB history?

Mark Polishuk
Not even close. Obviously the Cubs would've preferred to have gotten more than they have from Heyward, but flags fly forever.
Last time the Pirates and Cubs made a trade with each other? How about Baez for Polanco?

Mark Polishuk
The last proper trade between the two was the five-player swap in July 2009 that sent Josh Harrison to Pittsburgh.
And Baez for Polanco is definitely not happening. No reason for the Cubs to do that.
Wouldn’t it make more sense for Cincinnati to deal Raisel Iglesias instead of Sonny Gray? Due $9.1mil on the last year of his deal, and everyone could use bullpen help. Lesser return than Gray but could be a piece in a larger deal for a SS.

Mark Polishuk
It's a much lesser trade return for Iglesias, and less money saved. The Reds would happily take a decent offer for Iglesias if it meant keeping Gray, but I don't think such offers for Iglesias are out there, especially with the relief market so loaded with options.
Is Ryan Braun a 1st round HOF?

Mark Polishuk
Braun isn't making the HOF. I'd be surprised if he lasts even a year on the ballot.
Which team is Schwarber a better fit for: CLE or CIN?

Mark Polishuk
Cleveland, for sure. They already have a DH spot.
Does the lack of clarity regarding the DH in the NL put NL GMs at a disadvantage in the FA market?

Mark Polishuk
Absolutely. Some executives have gone on record expressing their frustration about this, and I'm sure they're not getting any less frustrated as the offseason drags on.
How long will LaRussa last as White Sox manager?

Mark Polishuk
The hiring was so unexpected that it's hard to figure it by normal managerial hiring standards. Jerry Reinsdorf clearly loves TLR and will give him a lot of leeway, but honestly, I'd be surprised to still see La Russa managing beyond 2022.

Tags:

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by heyzeus »

Is...Ryan Braun?...a first ballot...hall of famer?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Must be two Brauns

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

heyzeus wrote:
December 6 20, 7:42 am
Is...Ryan Braun?...a first ballot...hall of famer?
Maybe if we're talking about the Douche HOF.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Braun is at 46.7 career bWAR. Some of the players around that number are guys like Dale Murphy, Mark Grace, Mike Cameron, Matt Williams. That's the caliber of player Braun is, but he needed roids to get there. Maybe a couple of these guys used roids too though.

There are players around 46 bWAR that are in the HOF. Lou Brock had 45.4 bWAR but he distinguished himself with all the SB records and World Series appearances. The other HOFers around that number are generally dead-ball era guys and some pitchers. Dizzy Dean being one of them.

Jim Rice is in the HOF with a very similar resume to Braun, minus the steroids. Both won an MVP.

And Jim Edmonds and his 60.4 career bWAR say hi.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Ryan Braun is trash