Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 12. There are a couple of Q&As that are sure to spark some discussion and or snarky replies. I also included a bonus Q&A about the HoF prospects of a former NL Central player for added discussion potential.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9453.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Mark, the Cards and Indians look like a good match for a Jose Ramirez trade. What would the Cardinals need to send to make this happen?

Mark Polishuk
It would have to be a pretty major trade package, since Ramirez is controllable through 2023 and at a relative bargain price considering he's an MVP-caliber player at his best. The Tribe would be well within their rights to ask for Flaherty or Carlson as the headliner of a deal.

But that said, I doubt Cleveland deals Ramirez for at least a year. Despite their cost-cutting, the team still plans to contend while they have that core of top-tier pitching.
Who seems like the most logical candidate for shortstop the Reds go after?

Mark Polishuk
If they're trying to cut payroll severely, maybe someone like a Freddy Galvis. But if the Reds are done with the big cuts, maybe someone like Simmons who wouldn't break the bank on a probable one-year deal.
Prediction on where Sonny Gray lands and for what kind of package.

Mark Polishuk
Now that Iglesias has been dealt, I wonder if the Reds will still be looking to move Gray or if moving Iglesias' salary alone relaxes their financial constraints.
Mets possibly hiring a GM that worked in Boston or Chicago.
Is that a sign they also might hire a President of Baseball operations that previously worked for those teams?

Mark Polishuk
If the "Theo to the Mets in 2022" rumors weren't already loud enough....
Would the Angels trade J Adell for Josh Hader?

Mark Polishuk
Nope. A star everyday player is way more valuable than a star reliever, even one as good as Hader.
Dick Allen’s OPS+ of 156 is 19th all time, tied with the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays. How is he not in the HOF?

Mark Polishuk
Allen didn't make many friends among sportswriters back when he played, which is why his HOF candidacy didn't develop. But you're right, Allen is long overdue for a spot in Cooperstown.
RIP
Yadi for 10 million per year for 2 years?

Mark Polishuk
Even with the caveat that Molina is a Cardinals legend, that seems like a lot of money for a catcher who has looked like he's on the decline.
What do you think about Schwarber going to the Nats?

Mark Polishuk
On a one-year deal, I don't hate it. I would like to see Schwarber on an AL team because I kind of wonder if he's an Encarnacion-type player whose hitting potential will be fully unlocked once he can DH on a regular basis.
Jameson Taillon has got to be licking his chops to be traded to the Yankees!!! Anyway you think that can actually happen?

Mark Polishuk
Taillon makes a lot more sense as a trade piece than Bell, since the Yankees are already deep in first basemen.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/ ... -bell.html
What do you think about the Blue Jays going after Sonny Gray instead of a free agent? With the Reds wanting to reduce payroll, it seems like a great fit.

Mark Polishuk
Since the Jays seem to be exploring everyone available, I have zero doubt they've made some calls to the Reds about Gray.
Carpenter to the Dodgers to replace Turner?

Mark Polishuk
I can't imagine the Dodgers or any team has much interest in Carpenter after his last couple of years.
Mets are trying to make moves and have money to spend, but are reluctant to give up their top prospects, which complicates a Lindor trade. I keep coming back to a 3-team scenario where the Mets take on a bad contract from a third team (that has a strong farm, is looking to compete in 2021 and needs payroll flexibility) that sends a prospect to Cleveland, and a bad contract to the Mets, to lighten the prospect load they need to trade for Lindor. I thought that Miller/Carpenter from Stl or Kiermaier from TB, but wanted to see what you think.

Mark Polishuk
A three-team trade makes some sense, though they're also a lot trickier to arrange.
Is Cole Hamels a Hall of Famer?

Mark Polishuk
I lean towards no.

But it's close, obviously Hamels has had a tremendous career.

Tags: