Negro Leagues Elevated to Major League Status

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Negro Leagues Elevated to Major League Status

Post by JoeMcKim »

It won't have any real impact on any MLB records since most of the negro league guys who accumulated a lot of stats have only a portion of their games there confirmed and when they did get to the majors it was just for the final years of theirs or they were guys like Aaron and Mays who only played in Negro Leagues at the very beginning of their careers.

beehut
AAA Minor League Player

Re: MLB Off-season Happenings

Post by beehut »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 16 20, 1:23 pm
I guess it does change at least one record: Josh Gibson now holds the record for the highest single-season batting average. Hit .441 in 1943.
Might be a tough sell. I'd read a bit about that the other day. He hit .441 in 78 games and 342 plate appearances. Duffy's was .440 over 125 games and 660 PAs. I could definitely see the argument that he had the required number of PA for the games his team played - can't fault him for that. But Seamheads shows those 78 split among multiple teams and leagues. I'm having a tough time figuring out that split. Actually, it looks like they considered the World Series a separate "league" in other years, but counted within the 78 games... I'm seeing 68 NN2 games and 8 WS games for the Grays? So missing 2. So counting postseason stats complicates things a bit as well.

Ha, actually, if he played for multiple teams as well, maybe they were all regular season games? Now I've gone cross-eyed. His wiki entry shows 55 games with the Grays, where he hit .474.

Brain tumor at 32, dead at 35... Tragic.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I'd like to see how Ted Williams would hit in the stacked talent of the Negro Leagues. Probably much worse.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Satchel Paige vs. Ted Williams matchup in the early 40's would've been interesting.

SunnyJim
Single A Minor League Player

Post by SunnyJim »

Better late than never, huh?

Pop Lloyd, Martin Dihigo, Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige and so many others must be grateful.

*he said sarcastically*

OmahaCard79
Veteran Player

Post by OmahaCard79 »

I'm pleased that they have elevated the Negro Leagues to Major League status and I think it's fair that those stats are counted as Major League stats.

I never understood those who hold up MLB stats and records as sacrosanct. There have been those that have acted over the years that MLB records are somehow pure comparisons of talent across eras until the steroid era ruined things. That couldn't be further from the truth. There were even those arguing that the 2020 shortened season individual stats shouldn't count because they somehow ruined the integrity of the record books. This is also false.

I mean, records are what they are. They are a way of looking at the accomplishments of athletes, but can't be looked at in a bubble. We've had dead ball eras, live ball eras, segregation, war time dilution of talent, steroids era, strike years, and pandemic years that have all fundamentally altered totals and record.

I also believe players like Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc. wouldn't have quite the lofty numbers they amassed had they played in a fully integrated league rather than a league that was essentially diluted by white AAA level players. Some guys, like Stan Musial, benefit from playing from 1942-1945 while others lost 2-3 years of their careers. It is what it is.

So, add in all the Negro League stats out there as long as they are valid and backed up by actual statistical evidence such as box scores, etc. It sounds like they are going about this the right way.