Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 20. A lot of trade scenario Q&As about the Reds, and a couple about the Cardinals, this time. I did not include a bonus Q&A.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-9501.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The Reds, Cubs, Cardinals and Brewers have all indicated to varying degrees that they won’t be spending this winter. Won’t somebody in the NL Central see an opportunity for the taking?

Mark Polishuk
It's the Pirates' time to shine, baby!

On a more serious note, the lack of spending throughout the division might act as a disincentive. If you're the Cardinals, for instance, you might say "well, we can maybe hold back on our spending since it's not like the other rivals are doing anything big."
What would it take for Boston to get Luis Castillo with Moustakas part of the deal?

Mark Polishuk
I would imagine that the Reds would only deal Castillo if another team offers to entirely absorb one of their other big contracts (Castellanos, Moose, maybe Suarez, and I won't say Votto due to his no-trade clause). If you're one of the few teams with money to spend this winter, I'm definitely on the phone with Cincy exploring options.

The Reds won't give away Castillo for only salary relief, however. They'd still want good prospects back, and in Boston's case, Jeter Downs would seem like a natural ask.
Going into last offseason, the Cards biggest concern was Arenado opting out, and giving up too much for that level of uncertainty. Wouldn’t you think, similar to Stanton, Arenado would take the guaranteed money, with the financial implications from last year? What do you think gets the deal?

Mark Polishuk
I could see a scenario where, if the Rockies are close on an Arenado trade, the other team asks to speak with Arenado directly to renegotiate that opt-out. Maybe even to delay it by a year, so Arenado can get a fuller idea of his new team and has a better idea of the financial landscape post-pandemic and under the new CBA.
You'd think Arenado would have some interest in such an arrangement, since it would eliminate some of the uncertainty on his end as well (and maybe hasten an exit out of Colorado).
Castillo for Frazier, Gil and Schmidt.

Mark Polishuk
Like I said, the Reds almost surely aren't moving Castillo unless they can attach a big contract to him. They have no financial incentive to move Castillo any time soon.
Any news on interested teams for Jon Lester? If Lester goes back to Cubs, what’s the deal look like?

Mark Polishuk
The Giants are the only team known to have interest in Lester, but the Cubs are surely still on the periphery. I'd imagine Lester wouldn't cost any more than $5MM or so for a one-year deal.
Do you think Suarez to the Nationals will happen or is it just rumors?

Mark Polishuk
It would make a lot of sense for the Nats, since while they're a team that might not have a lot of spending space this winter, theoretically Suarez's deal isn't so expensive ($45.5MM through 2024) that it couldn't be taken on.
What does it take the Jays to get Castillo?

Mark Polishuk
The Jays had interest in Moustakas last offseason, so they stand out to me as candidates for some kind of a Castillo/Moose trade package. Maybe add in Akiyama as well.
Would Atl be a suitor for Castillo if they take on Suarez’s contract as well. Include Riley, and maybe Waters and see what names have to be filled out, Suarez fills a need as a RH 3B and Castillo is young, controllable & really good. Atl has been looking for just a pitcher for the last 3-4 years it seems.

Mark Polishuk
Atlanta also makes a lot of sense for a hypothetical Castillo/Suarez deal, especially with Riley and young pitchers to be dangled as trade chips.
When can we expect resolution on the Molina market? Are there really teams outside St. Louis who would give 2 years to a 38 old catcher?

Mark Polishuk
There are enough catcher-needy teams that I can't entirely rule it out, but I tend to agree. A player with Molina's numbers and age wouldn't normally even sniff a two-year deal, but it's Molina.
Wait what? There's literally one player type that wouldn't help the Braves right now and it's SP.

Mark Polishuk
Atlanta probably has more pressing needs, but it's never a bad idea to add Luis Castillo to your rotation.
Would a Javy Baez for Cavan Biggio ever happen?

Mark Polishuk
I highly highly doubt the Jays are trading Biggio at all, let alone for Baez.
Adell, Marsh, Jordyn Adams, and Detmers to Cincinnati for Castillo, Gray, and a PTBNL. Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
The Reds, since as attractive as that offer looks, it doesn't solve Cincinnati's most immediate apparent problem, which is cutting payroll.
Any movement on Molina or Wainwright coming soon?

Mark Polishuk
No real news as of late, which surprises me since I sort of assumed at least one would have re-signed with STL relatively quickly. I'd still lean towards both returning to the Cardinals, but as the winter rolls on, I'm becoming less certain.
Would Votto to Toronto be something that he’d waive his no trade for? If so, packaged with Castillo? What would Reds expect in return?

Mark Polishuk
Votto has been pretty vocal about not waiving his no-trade clause. There have also been some rumors that he doesn't have interest in playing in his hometown since he values some separation between his personal and professional life.
Castillo to LA for Lux and Gosselin. Who says no?

Mark Polishuk
My instinct is that LA does that deal, but the Reds say no. Again, Cincy's main focus seems to be cutting payroll --- they're likely only going to trade Castillo as a means to the end of getting big money off the books.
Very rarely do you see top prospects traded for each other. How would you view a Kiriloff for Liberatore from the Cards and Twins view.

Mark Polishuk
Twins aren't doing that. Kirilloff is ready for the big leagues already, Liberatore is a bit further away.
Why are Brewers going to make any moves? Have you heard any thing?

Mark Polishuk
It's been a very quiet winter for Brewers rumors, so my guess is they're lying in wait on a lot of low-level acquisitions.
Depending on $$$ exchanged, would this work for Cards to get Arenado (or at least close). Carpenter, O'Neil, Zach Thompson, and Kizner?

Mark Polishuk
I would think the Rox would want at least one more top prospect involved, and they'd say no to Carpenter unless there has to be some salary matching.
Carpenter also has some sort of partial (or more) no-trade protection, so he might put the kibosh on such a deal.

Tags:

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by Magneto2.0 »

The Rockies can kick rocks (no pun intended) if they would want another top prospect when the Cardinals would be taking on that massive contract.

MinorLeagueGuy
Hall Of Famer

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
December 21 20, 8:03 am
The Rockies can kick rocks (no pun intended) if they would want another top prospect when the Cardinals would be taking on that massive contract.
Yeah seems weird to scoff at Marp's inclusion because of salary, when we'd be taking on a boat load more responsibility in years and money, while Col has minimal going back their way in those regards. And If they wanted another prospect added, where's the argument that we just keep Marp's money on our books instead of sending another kid over there?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
December 21 20, 10:54 am
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Yeah seems weird to scoff at Marp's inclusion because of salary, when we'd be taking on a boat load more responsibility in years and money, while Col has minimal going back their way in those regards. And If they wanted another prospect added, where's the argument that we just keep Marp's money on our books instead of sending another kid over there?
Yeah, I didn't get that. And it seems with every trade scenario I see brought up with the Cardinals we always seem to be potentially having to give up more than other teams would. No matter how unfavorable the contract we'd be picking up is.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
December 21 20, 11:47 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't get that. And it seems with every trade scenario I see brought up with the Cardinals we always seem to be potentially having to give up more than other teams would. No matter how unfavorable the contract we'd be picking up is.
Could we include Dex too? Send him back to his original team.

MinorLeagueGuy
Hall Of Famer

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Radbird wrote:
December 21 20, 12:28 pm
Magneto2.0 wrote:
December 21 20, 11:47 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:
Could we include Dex too? Send him back to his original team.
Didnt he destroy us in his rookie year? One game in particular is burned into my psyche.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Benji
More likely to be traded Story or Arenado?

Ben Clemens
Story. Arenado's contract is just such a confusing one
With an opt-out after 2021, he might be an expensive rental
On the other hand, he might be there for six more years at 30-something per
It would be an extremely negotiated deal, particulalry given his no-trade clause. The team trading for him would need to get assurances that he wouldn't opt out, and he'd have to be willing to give those assurances, etc
But if he doesn't opt out, that limits the number of teams who are going to pay that much for a corner bat, even such a defensively-gifted one
Not to say it can't happen, but with Story, there are probably 20 teams who would be interested